Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Lou Dobbs on CNN

AzDon
    Lou Dobbs is running a series of stories on his show called "Exporting America". He also runs frequent segments on such "cheap labor" subjects as illegal immigration and Wal-Mart. Tonight, he had this guy on that helps American companies export their high paying jobs to cheap labor countries. He ripped the guy a new asshole and then invited him back for more discussion! Good Job Lou!!

25 Eagle
    Saw that...Lou did a good job. Guys company was called NEOIT and he really couldn't say shit for himself or what he is doing to help put thousands out of work.

Blown 472
    But thats good, because it is capitalism in it's finest. Look out here come the chearleaders.

HighRoller
    I don't particularly care for Lou, or CNN for that matter. He continuously ignores the positive indicators of the thriving economy and focuses on irrelevant statistics that supposedly show how "bad" the economy is. Then there's his qualifiers for every piece of good news. Jobless rates are down BUT that's just because people have stopped looking. Yeah, right. Retail sales up 17% from last year this time, BUT that's obviously because of all the unused gift certificates being redeemed. Maybe that's why nobody watches CNN anymore. You get the news from their point of view, not as it happened.

eliminatedsprinter
    I'm not going to cheerlead, but Lou Dobbs is not someone I'd look to for a factual, unbiased, objective story. He also isn't someone I'd go to to learn about business and economics from either... But hey, that's just me.....

AzDon
    Ever notice that when most of the comentators and pundits talk about "new" jobs that are being created, they never mention that they pay more than the "old" jobs that were lost..... Why do you think that is??
    Lou calls it like he sees it and I think many more Americans are on his wavelength than he gets credit for!

HighRoller
    Yeah, but Lou has a definite agenda. I've never once heard him mention the stock market going up last year, even though it did to the tune of 22%! I prefer to get the WHOLE story.

AzDon
    Originally posted by HighRoller
    I don't particularly care for Lou, or CNN for that matter. He continuously ignores the positive indicators of the thriving economy and focuses on irrelevant statistics that supposedly show how "bad" the economy is. Then there's his qualifiers for every piece of good news.
    Perhaps the positive indicators are the truly irrelevant stats. If I got "downsized" and had to get a "cheaper" job that was new, I'd resent my new job being categorized as a positive stat, especially if my new employer helped put my former employer out of business!

twistedpair
    Originally posted by AzDon
    Ever notice that when most of the comentators and pundits talk about "new" jobs that are being created, they never mention that they pay more than the "old" jobs that were lost..... Why do you think that is??
    Some of that can be attributed to 'changing of the guard', for lack of a better term. My ex-employer in the telco industry, for example wanted to lose some head count. They offered some pretty sweet deals on early retirement and hoped to cut about 4000 jobs. Problem was, 22,000 took them up on their offer, which resulted in some new hiring. Naturally, you're not going to pay a new hire the same as a seasoned vet.
    Also automation plays a large part these days. You can pay a flunky minimum wage to babysit the machine that does the same work that used to require several skilled (and highly paid) craftsmen.

eliminatedsprinter
    Originally posted by HighRoller
    Yeah, but Lou has a definite agenda. I've never once heard him mention the stock market going up last year, even though it did to the tune of 22%! I prefer to get the WHOLE story.
    Yeah, and I wonder if he would mention the predatory taxes and the gov red tape that drives business away.....Or who created those thousands of jobs that will be "lost overseas" in the first place...But I'll just have to wonder, because like I said, if I want to learn more about macro economics and public policy I'll take the trouble to read something by an economist, not by watching Lou Dobbs...

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast