Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Lou Dobbs on CNN

mirvin
    Uh, gentlemen, whether you like it or not, Lou Dobbs is the only member of the news media willing to talk about these issues!! Everyone else ignores them and pretends like Janet Jacksons nipple is an issue.
    Mirvin

JakeAisA
    Originally posted by AzDon
    Ever notice that when most of the comentators and pundits talk about "new" jobs that are being created, they never mention that they pay more than the "old" jobs that were lost..... Why do you think that is??
    Lou calls it like he sees it and I think many more Americans are on his wavelength than he gets credit for!
    And he sees it through biased eyes...that's the point. Ever read Bias by Bernie Goldberg? There's a reason why Lou Dobbs is on CNN.

JakeAisA
    Originally posted by twistedpair
    Also automation plays a large part these days. You can pay a flunky minimum wage to babysit the machine that does the same work that used to require several skilled (and highly paid) craftsmen.
    You know this argument reminds me of a story I read once about an economist who went to Switzerland, or some European country, to visit a public works program--the building of a damn. The economist went there because he was hired to advise the government on the efficiency of the project.
    When he got to the site on the first day, he saw that the escavation of the earth wasn't being performed by heavy dozers and shovels but by workers with hand shovels and small dozers and wheel barrels. He was shocked and asked the project manager why they weren't using the obviously more productive equipment. The Project Manager replied "Because we want to put people to work and we can't employ as many workers if we use the heavy equipment." Astonished and personally outraged, the Economist answered "Then why the hell don't you build the damn thing with spoons?"

AzDon
    Okay Jake-
    I get that you are a USC graduate that probably grew up in an affluent area of OC and work with your dad, Busti (either making him reeeallly old or you reeeallly young) I'm entertained and amused by your "pure economics" opinions that seem to come purely from textbooks and an IGM snobbery that shows complete disrespect and insensitivity for other Americans that haven't been blessed with a priveledged upbringing and opportunities that you have. Perhaps you consider blue-collar people to be whiners and leaches that provide services of very little, or no value to you. Perhaps you have no need for these services at all and think all these folks should retrain and go into real estate like you! Perhaps you think retraining is a piece-of-cake for undereducated people making minimum wage and that they should need no help accomplishing this.
    Have you ever hand -stacked freight, pushed a lawnmower professionally, or been so desperately unemployed that you've taken a paper route???? I Have!! I have also started, nurtured, and eventually closed down a business that wasn't going to work out.
    Your "pure economics" arguments, if allowed, unchecked, to become reality, will result in a diminished lifestyle for every working American...YOU INCLUDED... as the wages we expect are taken away and given to foriegners willing to do our jobs cheaper. Do you really believe that this won't eventually affect the price of real estate or cause retrainees to flood your field and drive commissions down?
    We need to first, admit that we have an immediate responsibility to take care of the health of our own country's economic well being before allowing companies doing business here to export our jobs in pursuit of a fast buck! Who will buy all these imported goods when we've all been reduced to "world community" wages?
    Your dad has obviously done his job with regard to seeing that you get the education needed to succeed financially in life, but you have underdeveloped insight into the fact that ALL JOB DESCRIPTIONS are important to our society and a civilized standard of living IS the bithright of ALL of our citizens, AND THIS REQUIRES HIGHER THAN WORLD MARKET WAGES!!! It is the reason that our poorest citizens have running water, electricity and flush toilets. It is also the reason that US Americans remain the world's most dedicated shoppers!
    I've taken my lumps in life, learned my lessons, and done okay! All five of my vehicles and boat are American made, and cash paid for..... What do you drive?

Dave C
    I feel sorry for people that lose their jobs especially if they go overseas.
    but by blaming corporations puts the cart before the horse.
    thanks to government over-regulation, insurance, etc..

AzDon
    I Think that companies that want to leave should leave completely and not expect to sell any of their products in this country!

Freak
    Unfortunately not all people are borne with a high intellect. These persons depend on these jobs to survive. What are you going to retrain them for if nothing is left? John borne with a IQ of 85 that assembles shower heads cannot be retrained to do something else such as HVAC. It takes some smarts he does not have. Would you rather they be on welfare.........
    Life would be great is everything was black and white but when people are involved it can never come close to that.

mirvin
    So Freak, what you are saying is that we need some "MODERATION"?!!
    Most people, at least in my world, whether Dem or Rep or whatever, are fairly moderate. Meaning that whenyou get down to the core issues they generally agree.
    Why can't we get a legislature that reflects this instead of just having AZDON on the left and JAKEASIA on the right???
    Mirvin

AzDon
    You've got me wrong, Mirvin! I don't support welfare or entitlements although I do believe in social insurance programs, as long as they pay for themselves. If believing that all American workers are entitled to a civilized living wage then, okay, I'm A lefty! I also believe that companies that have done well here have a social responsibility to buy their labor and raw materials here in return for their success and as a down payment on future success. Wal-Mart is a perfect example of a slash-and-burn role model and unfortunately, too many executives worship their business model because, at present, it works!

Freak
    Why yes and generally that is what happens.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast