Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Lou Dobbs on CNN

AzDon
    Originally posted by eliminatedsprinter
    Wow, this view into the mind of a class warrior is really worth looking at again.
    Hmmm, not exactly following Dale Carnagie's methods of winning friends and influencing people.......
    It's funny, because my annual income isn't anywhere near the poverty threshhold and I'm white, which means that the only scholarships my kids qualify for are merit-based. I guess I am a bit of a class warrior because I feel the working class people in this country were economically underappreciated BEFORE all this job exporting, March to cheapness and illegal alien workers crap became hot-button issues. I'm worried that Americans could become beggars in our own country as the foriegners show up here with wads of US currency and buy up property with it. (Visit Fountain Valley or Alhambra if you think this can't happen).
    The whole world wants our lifestyle desperately and all they are truly being offerred is our jobs.....IF THEY ARE WILLING TO DO THEM CHEAPER!!

AzDon
    Eliminated-
    My son Nick has no time for this stuff since he was offered a job as a software designer. I've got a bad virus, or I'd be working on the truck we're building for him. Highroller didn't answer what foriegn tow vehicle is worth a sh*t or when he last saw a 70's era Honda Civic. Personally, there is zero chance I'd ever go across the desert in a 12-year-old Jap car, yet I routinely do so with a 30 year old Chevy truck.... towing 6000 pounds! JD Powers and cosumer reports are bought and paid for by Jap companies. And one more thing, Highroller... who gets to decide which employers get to pay minimum wage and will those that do then be allowed to discriminate against applicants that haven't got somebody else supporting them?
    I'm sorry if I'm a bit harsh, but closed- minded works both ways and I suspect that Jake hasn't paid enough dues to disrespect the efforts of those less fortunate than himself to get by in life ( He neither answered what he drives or what kind of menial jobs he's ever done in his adult life) I know that the economic realities in this country are going the ways that he worships and I'm trying to warn against this. The sky isn't falling...more like smog-- gets worse gradually and then one day you wake up and wonder when you last saw the sky!

eliminatedsprinter
    Don
    Come to LA you will see far more old Hondas, Toyotas, and Nisson, cars on the road here... Their durablity is reflected in their haveing much higher resale value than the "american" cars in their class. I can't even imagine a ten year old Ford taurus (or any other American mid sized car) running as well as or being worth half as much as a Honda Accord of the same age, mileage, and origional selling price. Now boats are a different matter. We have built the best boats in the world ever since the days of the Yankee Clippers. Cougar may make a nice boat up there in Canada, but the only boats I'll ever want are all made right here in the USA...
    P.S.
    I would also much rather tow with a Toyota Land Crusier or Sequoia than with a Ford Expedition.
    Hmmmmm, let's see Ford F250 built in Canada. Chevy Silverado built in Canada. Dodge Ram built in Mexico. Toyota Tacoma built in U.S.A. I guess your'e right , I should buy American. If you're worried about the profits going back to Japan what's stopping you from buying their stock and diverting some of those profits back here??
    P.P.S. Why does it sound like you resent the fact that Busti got the education and training to be successfull and then made sure his son got the same? Why do you think having a parent who is successfull and raises and educates him well, somehow makes Jake the cluless one in this debate? To me that sounds a bit like backward thinking. But what do I know, I went to public schools and state Universities...:wink:

JakeAisA
    Originally posted by AzDon
    Eliminated-
    My son Nick has no time for this stuff since he was offered a job as a software designer. I've got a bad virus, or I'd be working on the truck we're building for him. Highroller didn't answer what foriegn tow vehicle is worth a sh*t or when he last saw a 70's era Honda Civic. Personally, there is zero chance I'd ever go across the desert in a 12-year-old Jap car, yet I routinely do so with a 30 year old Chevy truck.... towing 6000 pounds! JD Powers and cosumer reports are bought and paid for by Jap companies. And one more thing, Highroller... who gets to decide which employers get to pay minimum wage and will those that do then be allowed to discriminate against applicants that haven't got somebody else supporting them?
    I'm sorry if I'm a bit harsh, but closed- minded works both ways and I suspect that Jake hasn't paid enough dues to disrespect the efforts of those less fortunate than himself to get by in life ( He neither answered what he drives or what kind of menial jobs he's ever done in his adult life) I know that the economic realities in this country are going the ways that he worships and I'm trying to warn against this. The sky isn't falling...more like smog-- gets worse gradually and then one day you wake up and wonder when you last saw the sky!
    Dues have nothing to do with it. Not only is it none of your business, but you shouldn't care about it. I have paid my dues, my family has paid it's dues. But who cares? If I hadn't, my success wouldn't be at your expense. Wealthy people didn't get wealthy at the poor's expense. Conversely, the poor aren't poor because wealthy people "took" anything away from them. What you have in life is your responsible to go out and earn--from your freinds and family and in terms of your carreer.
    I drive a dodge truck...but that's none of your business. I'm in the process of buying a Cadilac Deville, but that's none of you business. I've worked for $5 bucks an hour and I've delievered pizza's to help my family put me through school...but that's none of your business. My customers don't ask me these things before they pay me...they ask me what I can do for them. Why? Becuase it doesn't matter to them and it shouldn't. What matters is your value to others in terms of what you can trade with them, products, services or labor.
    Your logic flies in the face of everything that is American. Like I said in another post--we embargo countries like Iraq and Cuba to destroy thier economies, what makes anybody think a self-imposed embargo of America would all of a sudden be a beneficial thing to do?
    No answer.

HighRoller
    Don, could you post your documentation proving that Consumer Reports and J.D. Power are Japanese owned? I need facts please.

AzDon
    I'm in LA about three days a week and I've seen the crap people drive around. Most of the oriental stuff looks a lot more beat at a younger age than the domestic stuff."Old" for a Jap car is ten years. I repeat the challenge: tell me when you last saw a 76-80 Honda Civic. I'm sure their original numbers matched or exceeded chevy pickups in the same years, yet very few, if any still exist... And 76-80 Chevy pickups...everywhere! I agree about the Taurus... It's a cheap piece of crap created in response to cheap-crap foriegn competition as are, IMO, ALL front-wheel-drive American cars. Camaros, Mustangs, Mark-8's, T-Birds, Crown Vics etc. compare quite favorably in performance and durability with foriegn cars in the same price range. And American truck-chassis'd stuff is WAY beyond compare! I know there are jap trucks capable of towing, but doubt they are durable enough to still be towing 6000 lb when they are 30 years old.

eliminatedsprinter
    Originally posted by AzDon
    I'm in LA about three days a week and I've seen the crap people drive around. Most of the oriental stuff looks a lot more beat at a younger age than the domestic stuff."Old" for a Jap car is ten years. I repeat the challenge: tell me when you last saw a 76-80 Honda Civic. I'm sure their original numbers matched or exceeded chevy pickups in the same years, yet very few, if any still exist... And 76-80 Chevy pickups...everywhere! I agree about the Taurus... It's a cheap piece of crap created in response to cheap-crap foriegn competition as are, IMO, ALL front-wheel-drive American cars. Camaros, Mustangs, Mark-8's, T-Birds, Crown Vics etc. compare quite favorably in performance and durability with foriegn cars in the same price range. And American truck-chassis'd stuff is WAY beyond compare! I know there are jap trucks capable of towing, but doubt they are durable enough to still be towing 6000 lb when they are 30 years old.
    Ten years is nothing for a Japanese car. Honda's normally can expect to last 300,000 miles with proper maint...The last time I checked, the car that had the highest % of those sold lasting 10 years or longer was the Toyota Celica... Don I have no problem with your'e taste in cars but please don't try to convince me that it is supported by all the "facts".
    P.S. WWII ended in 1945. Why do you still use the word Jap? Do you also use the N word etc..?

HighRoller
    But I still want to see the smoking gun on Consumer reports....C'mon, I need facts here...
    Of course you're not going to see many Hondas that old because they were still new at the business. The 70-80 years of Chevy trucks were probably the best built vehicles in the history of mankind. But how many late 70's and early 80's domestic cars do you see still running good? Not many because they were pieces of crap. Even late into the 80's the American cars were crappy but improving. If you want a perfect example of what the Japanese are doing go drive a Nissan Altima. Then try and find an American car for the same price that even comes close. I don't think Japan will ever match American made trucks because we have too much of a head start. But they have more than matched us in the car market.

HighRoller
    And if there wasn't market pressure on the American car makers from Japan and Europe, you'd still be buying an uncomfortable ass truck with vinyl bench seats and a 225hp carbed 350 engine that gets 8 miles to the gallon. If you need evidence of what lack of competition and protectionist attitudes get you, look at the post office and DMV. Would you say those people (who have a guaranteed wage and no competition)provide the best customer service in an efficient manner?

JakeAisA
    Originally posted by HighRoller
    And if there wasn't market pressure on the American car makers from Japan and Europe, you'd still be buying an uncomfortable ass truck with vinyl bench seats and a 225hp carbed 350 engine that gets 8 miles to the gallon. If you need evidence of what lack of competition and protectionist attitudes get you, look at the post office and DMV. Would you say those people (who have a guaranteed wage and no competition)provide the best customer service in an efficient manner?
    Look at Government Education, too. (Some call it public school)

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast