Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Lou Dobbs on CNN

eliminatedsprinter
    Originally posted by HighRoller
    And if there wasn't market pressure on the American car makers from Japan and Europe, you'd still be buying an uncomfortable ass truck with vinyl bench seats and a 225hp carbed 350 engine that gets 8 miles to the gallon. If you need evidence of what lack of competition and protectionist attitudes get you, look at the post office and DMV. Would you say those people (who have a guaranteed wage and no competition)provide the best customer service in an efficient manner?
    In the 70's I had a 73 chevy malibu with a 350 V8 and a 2 barrel carb that had a whopping 135 hp. It sucked gas like my motorhome and it broke all the time.... My 9 1/2 year old Integra has more power than that in it's tiny four banger, it out handles most sports coups twice it's price, and it has been far more reliable than any 90s american pony car could ever hope to be.

AzDon
    Originally posted by JakeAisA
    Dues have nothing to do with it. Not only is it none of your business, but you shouldn't care about it. I have paid my dues, my family has paid it's dues. But who cares? If I hadn't, my success wouldn't be at your expense.[QUOTE]
    Your success does not bother me in any way... It's your insensitivity to the plight of Americans whose jobs have been, or about to be exported. Getting through SC is tough while delivering pizzas...wasn't trying to imply that you haven't earned your success. I'm a firm believer that we're all broke on different levels and we all believe that we work hard for our money. But, until you've been desperate to work, without prospects, you should reconsider the ease at which you're willing to write-off the jobs of others.
    [QUOTE]
    Wealthy people didn't get wealthy at the poor's expense. Conversely, the poor aren't poor because wealthy people "took" anything away from them. What you have in life is your responsible to go out and earn--from your freinds and family and in terms of your carreer. [QUOTE]
    Okay- this is interesting because it denies that there is a limited amount of money in circulation. It also kind of denies that an employer makes money by reselling the services of the employee at a profit. Everybody benefits as long as they're being compensated fairly, but human nature and business sense makes us all "economists" at whatever level we're at.... paying the lowest price we can on our purchases while getting the most we can from clients. As a businessman that gets to pimp his own services daily, you get to set your pricing as high as your competition will allow. You are a direct seller of your services and are not subject to being sold short by an employer who , instinctively, feathers his own nest first!
    [QUOTE]
    I drive a dodge truck...but that's none of your business. I'm in the process of buying a Cadilac Deville, but that's none of you business. [QUOTE]
    If I ever asked you to show me real estate, we would be done if you offerred to drive me in a foriegn car! It's good that you buy American though you're right that it's not my business!
    [QUOTE]I've worked for $5 bucks an hour and I've delievered pizza's to help my family put me through school...but that's none of your business. My customers don't ask me these things before they pay me...they ask me what I can do for them. Why? Becuase it doesn't matter to them and it shouldn't. What matters is your value to others in terms of what you can trade with them, products, services or labor. [QUOTE]
    I've done brakes and front suspension work for less than $3 an hour but I'm not bitching about it because that is all the job paid and I was working there freely. It was for the auto center of a large retailer who was not fairly sharing the proceeds of my labor with me. The value of my services FAR exceeded my compensation! As soon as I was able to break the shackles, I was outta there!
    [QUOTE]
    Your logic flies in the face of everything that is American. Like I said in another post--we embargo countries like Iraq and Cuba to destroy thier economies, what makes anybody think a self-imposed embargo of America would all of a sudden be a beneficial thing to do?
    No answer.
    Iraq has oil, so everybody tunneled around the embargo (us included) and traded with them anyway! What we have here that the rest of the world wants is affluent consumers with money to spend on goods...thanks to wages and lifestyle that are way above world standards! Logic would dictate that protecting the earnings and living standards of US citizens would be essential to preserving our status as the place where every other country wants to dump their cheap crap. I believe that we could pretty much cut the rest of the world loose and we would prosper and do without NOTHING! We would have to pay more for US made goods, but we'd be offering our fellow citizens meaningful employment, instead of bitching about handouts and high taxes!

JakeAisA
    Originally posted by AzDon
    Iraq has oil, so everybody tunneled around the embargo (us included) and traded with them anyway! What we have here that the rest of the world wants is affluent consumers with money to spend on goods...thanks to wages and lifestyle that are way above world standards! Logic would dictate that protecting the earnings and living standards of US citizens would be essential to preserving our status as the place where every other country wants to dump their cheap crap. I believe that we could pretty much cut the rest of the world loose and we would prosper and do without NOTHING! We would have to pay more for US made goods, but we'd be offering our fellow citizens meaningful employment, instead of bitching about handouts and high taxes!
    You know nothing about economics.

AzDon
    Enough High wage jobs to go around --GOOD
    Mostly Low Wage jobs --BAD
    Money coming in--GOOD
    More money going out --Bad
    Exporting profitable goods and importing unprofitable goods-- GOOD
    Importing profitable goods and exporting unprofitable, subsidized farm goods--Bad
    I know how this thing basically works and exporting jobs and importing illegals is about nothing more than cheaper labor--- PERIOD!!

eliminatedsprinter
    Don
    Of course Jake denies that wealth is a limited resource. Every qualified economist around also does. It appears you still believe that old left wing myth that wealth is a limited reasource and "the rich" somehow are hogging up more than their share. This is a myth that is based on the denial of the fact that wealth can be created by someone who has an idea that prduces something that helps both those who sell and purchase it. Not to mention the jobs that it provides.....
    Don U.S.C. has a very fine school of buisness and economics. It is obvious from his responses here that Jake absorbed something from that program while he went there....Don there is a reason that graduates from good buisness schools are in high demand and it's not because of nepotism or mysterious contacts. It's because they come out better prepaired to succeed and help other's succeed. You should listen to him. I am. I can tell from his posts that he knows more about economics than I do. And when you put him down for going to USC it became clear to me why. I'm not to proud to admit that I'm not professionally trained in business and economics. My professional education is in sports, fitness, and health care. I love to debate this stuff, but to be honest, I do it just as much to learn as I do to express an opinion or two....

eliminatedsprinter
    [QUOTE]Originally posted by eliminatedsprinter
    [B]Jake
    This is a nice try but it's wasted on a closed mind.....

eliminatedsprinter
    Jake. I TOLD YOU SOOOOO
    Don
    I'm just having a little fun please don't be offended.
    If you are. I hope you catch me at the lake. So I can give you a beer or two as a piece offering for the grief Ive given you today.
    I'm just in one of those moods.:devil:
    Have fun I'll be off line till monday..Then I'll be able to come back and read what you say when you call me the A$$ that I know I am....

AzDon
    I fully expected to get a rise out of somebody with the "limited money supply" quip! While I believe that value can be created and added to the marketplace, the only way to realize this value is to get a buyer to agree to the value and pay you for it. I don't doubt that more value may be on the books than the overall dollars circulated, because the government simply prints money when it can't avoid paying. As for bills in print---WAY less! As more money is circulated, it would theoretically become less valuable, being backed by less gold, and cause price inflation.... except that we are no longer on the gold standard. The value of our money is a comparative value relative to other countries' currencies and kinda based on confidence. It's value is really backed by whatever madman has the authority to unleash US military might if the world market gets too pushy about redeeming it's value! I don't really understand about markets except that I know it's the big boys' playground and pofolks like me should only participate if we want to get fleeced!
    I wasn't slamming Jake for being from SC.... My parents and grandparents are SC graduates. I actually enjoy that he's so passionate about what he believes to be right, because if there weren't folks like us willing to discuss this stuff than we wouldn't have anything meaningful to fill all this space with! During the Reagan years, USC had an economics professor named Arthur Laffer that was preaching that full employment would provide the government a double-dip benefit as those on welfare became taxpayers. The fruits of this concept were never realized in the 80's because Reagan did not make full employment a real priority. It was the Clinton administration that proved the "Laffer Curve" as a sound concept.... Enough of this money talk. I Hate math and I've got a headache and I gotta work in an hour...seeya!

AzDon
    Jake, everybody-- yes I am passionate about my beliefs and don't hold differences of opinion personally... If you see my old yellow and orange daycruiser on the lake and present your self in a likeable way, I'm sure that I can find a beer for you in my cooler! (yes, free!!)

Miss BK
    AzDon wrote: ALL JOB DESCRIPTIONS are important to our society and a civilized standard of living IS the bithright of ALL of our citizens, AND THIS REQUIRES HIGHER THAN WORLD MARKET WAGES!!! It is the reason that our poorest citizens have running water, electricity and flush toilets. It is also the reason that US Americans remain the world's most dedicated shoppers
    I don't know a whole lot about economics, but I do agree with most of this statement.
    The best quote I've heard lately was:
    "America is the greatest place on earth. The worst thing America can do today, is forget WHAT has made it so great"
    In the fall, the economic report said GDP rose by 8%. This was wonderful!
    Or was it?
    Same report said labor costs dropped by 15%.
    Good for companies, but not so good for the employees.....
    Correct me if I'm wrong, but I see this as American employees are producing 8% more, and getting back 15% less in wages and benefits, right?
    For all you economic gurus, is this a positive trend for the greatest place on earth?

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast