Thread: more water problems

iceman
    Need some help here! I just got done replacing my drive shaft bellow and gimbal bearing(bellow was torn)and I thought I was done with my water problem.not,it's a boat!
    I lifted the hatch and there was to much water for comfort.I took a close look and it
    was seaping in wear the two tilt and trim lines come through the transom,below the driveshaft.(350 alpha setup with thru hull exhaust)

johnc
    Hey iceman,
    I had a water problem that turned out to be loose bolts which sandwhich the drive to the transom. Also check your cable seals. Hope this helps.
    JC

razor1115
    not a good sign - barring the obvious (bellows, o-rings, etc), it very well could be the seal around the drive pivot pin. Expensive! If the seals gone, usually the pin is eaten up too. Merc is pretty proud of their $250 piece of turned, hardened steel (Bravo). The seal is cheap - pin and LABOR are not. Unless you have the tools and know how, let boat guys take care of it because it' a pressed pin in an Al casting.
    If you break gimbal ring trying to remove/install pin - extremely expensive.
    Just another 2 cents as this leak is not easy to identify

Bondo
    not to make life toooo easy,,!! there's a small gasket for the trim line manifold on the bottom of the housing that COULD be your problem....
    forgot to mention, it's on the Outside of the hull....
    [This message has been edited by Bondo (edited April 25, 2002).]