Thread: New Carbon Fiber Fuel Tank

Kurtis500
    Finally completed the 3 1/2 gallon bullet fuel tank. Made of carbon and in one piece. There are no seams in the tanks construction. Only those seams on the surface where the molds break apart. There are 4 tabs on the sides to hold the 8 inch brackets for mounting. The fittings are -8 and -12, with a flip top fuel fill. Other sizes can be used as well as a -16 on the bottom. I'm pretty proud of this piece since it requires double molds. One for RTM and the other to create the id investment casting. Everything on the inside comes out the 1 1/2 inch hole to leave the tank with a 1/8 inch wall thickness.(my little secret
    )
    What a pain and $$ to make, but here is a picture. Let me know what you think..?
    http://www.***boat.com/image_center/...050142-med.JPG
    Not sure why I put it on the black tile for a picture, should nave used the white one.

UBFJ #454
    Darren - That's a darn good looking tank ... what does it weigh?

Kurtis500
    I'm not really sure. It is the first piece and had a few little problems. For one the injection pressure was too high and pushed the material around in the mold and infused some resin into the internal casting area. So its heavy at the bottom. I already have it fixed for the next tank I make, but I dont know when I'll get around to making another one yet.

396_WAYS_TO_SPIT
    Man that thing is sweet You better ut a patent on that thing or someone will be making them. Good job

superdave013
    looks really cool.
    I bet with a few mods the fuel injection guys will go nuts over it.
    Needs a big ass breather on it and about three -6 bungs on the top for all the returns.

GofastRacer
    I've already been looking at it, don't need a breather, two #8's close to the top, three #6's and a #10 on the bottom,done deal!...Totally bitchin!..

Kurtis500
    I actually have the other #8 fittings on top already, they just cant be seen in the picture. The fuel fill is hiding it. I need to get some brackets for it now. I plan on using this one on my boat. Its my first and its not perfect...its good enough for me to use I wouldnt sell one to someone else unless it was though.

GofastRacer
    Don't need the filler on the top, what I meant was two #8's about 2" below the top on the side, one to feed and one to return, the #6 returns would be just above the #8's, just like the aluminum one I made!.. Unless the pic is hiding something, it looks badass to me!..

wsuwrhr
    Originally posted by Kurtis500
    I actually have the other #8 fittings on top already, they just cant be seen in the picture. The fuel fill is hiding it. I need to get some brackets for it now. I plan on using this one on my boat. Its my first and its not perfect...its good enough for me to use I wouldnt sell one to someone else unless it was though.
    See the perfect bracket in V-drive section.
    Brian