Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Carbon Fiber Bullet Fuel Tank

Kurtis500
    I posted this in the gear head section too. Heres the bullet fuel tank. A real pain and $$ to build. But it worked out well. 3 1/2 gallons and is 8 inces in diameter. Will use 8 inch tank brackets to mount. I molded the 4 tabs on the sides to hold the tank from sliding.
    Cool part is, there are no seams in the tank. Only on the surface where the molds break apart. Any size fittings can be placed in the tank, and the dump on the bottom can go -16 or bigger, if there is such a size. The one in the pic is -12.
    http://www.***boat.com/image_center/...050142-med.JPG
    Sorry, didnt have time to mop the floor.

Kindsvater Flat
    No thats friggen cool!! When are you going to build a complete 100 lb boat?

Kurtis500
    Originally posted by Kindsvater Flat
    No thats friggen cool!! When are you going to build a complete 100 lb boat?
    As soon as I'm ready to hurt myself One thing that boat builders could do that isnt really that hard to convert to, is to vacuum infuse the boats in the molds. I've seen them do a complete 17 foot boat with a vacuum pump, about 3-4 buckets of resin, and the stringers in place. That would make it much lighter and cut down on the air bubbles over regular hand lay-up.

Back Forty
    That is beautiful work!
    Do you have to run a lining inside to keep gas from the epoxy such as a polyester type resin?

Again, very nice.

burbanite
    Originally posted by Kurtis500
    As soon as I'm ready to hurt myself One thing that boat builders could do that isnt really that hard to convert to, is to vacuum infuse the boats in the molds. I've seen them do a complete 17 foot boat with a vacuum pump, about 3-4 buckets of resin, and the stringers in place. That would make it much lighter and cut down on the air bubbles over regular hand lay-up.
    I've never been able to work out why more builders don't do it like that, it takes time to roll out out all those friggin' bubbles and bagging produces a much better product.
    Pumps aren't expensive, add a few fittings and vacuum lines and you're away. We do it all day long here and if the other way was better we'd be doing it.

Kurtis500
    Originally posted by Back Forty
    That is beautiful work!
    Do you have to run a lining inside to keep gas from the epoxy such as a polyester type resin?

Again, very nice.
    I use a brominaded resin. Very stable with about anything. Including 99.9% hydrochloric acid. The resin is also a class 1 (or 3, cant remember) flame spread approved. Can be used in aircraft interiors for no fire and low smoke areas. As for racing, anything fire retardant and low smoke is good.

Kurtis500
    Originally posted by burbanite
    I've never been able to work out why more builders don't do it like that, it takes time to roll out out all those friggin' bubbles and bagging produces a much better product.
    Pumps aren't expensive, add a few fittings and vacuum lines and you're away. We do it all day long here and if the other way was better we'd be doing it.
    I hear ya. Dont know why either, maybe they are just timid about the unfamiliar. One of the larger boat manufacturers in or around Wisconsin actually uses RTM to make the hull. Vacuum bagging works great and makes a much stronger part than hand lay-up...I think

wsuwrhr
    I just happen to have a nice billet bracket to hold that 8" bottle.
    Brian

Kurtis500
    Originally posted by wsuwrhr
    I just happen to have a nice billet bracket to hold that 8" bottle.
    Brian
    Brian, send me a picture of it if you can. I would like to see it.

wsuwrhr
    Originally posted by Kurtis500
    Brian, send me a picture of it if you can. I would like to see it.
    Here you go, this bracket is 7", but I have an 8 also that is similar.
    Brian
    http://www.***boat.com/image_center/...c-012f-med.jpg

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast