Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Watch out Ca Higher taxes are on our way with prop 56.

AzDon
    Has something happened to Prop 13??? It limited your property taxes to 1% of valuation AS DETERMINED BY PURCHASE PRICE! What taxes are they going to be able to raise?

Waldo
    Commercial property taxes I think

HighRoller
    Actually, they are proposing an across the board new tax programs. Taxing entertainment like movies and concerts, taxing beer and soda at a higher rate, taxing certain types of vehicles for arbitrary reasons, and they're desperately trying to find a way to get around Prop 13.

eliminatedsprinter
    Originally posted by Dave C
    Which ballot proposition is sponsored by the "league of liberal voters"? IS that 55?
    Ya I wonder how much "new money" they need with 56? They say its debt consolidation but I wonder?
    Arnie said if it doesn't pass then they will have to make drastic cuts. hmmm... drastic cuts.... sounds good to me
    Mirv. I'm up here by 058 in the looney left wing bay area too. I worry that someday I'm gonna get run out of town think like I do..
    I believe prop 56 is the one that the far left is pushing to lower the 2/3 requirement for new taxes under the guise of budget reform.
    Prop 55 is, I think, the one that is the debt consolidation bond issue. I'll check my voter handbook again and be more positive on mon.

Dave C
    you name it they tax it..... if they have a general obligation bond they need 2/3 majority to pass it because its secured by the government (i.e. our property and income taxes)
    my favorite quote:
    if it moves tax it
    if it stops moving subsidize it
    if it continues to move, regulate it.

Dr. Eagle
    Originally posted by HighRoller
    Actually, they are proposing an across the board new tax programs. Taxing entertainment like movies and concerts, taxing beer and soda at a higher rate, taxing certain types of vehicles for arbitrary reasons, and they're desperately trying to find a way to get around Prop 13.
    Let me see, I bet the "certain type of vehicle" is SUV's.
    THey have been trying (and suceeding in some cases) to get around prop 13 for years.
    My house has a "mellos-roos" assessment on it which effectively doubles the tax rate. Other places have "special district bonds" that do the same. In one development I looked at in Carlsbad when I was thinking of a moving to the SD area the taxes were 1.25% and the bonds were equal to about 1.6% so more than double the rate. and the houses were all over 400K so the taxes would be stupid.
    So if you have those bonds and the pickpockets manage to fool the people again what we gonna do.. go live in apts again?

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123