Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Carbs VS Injection,advantages vs disadvantages

atxwrangler
    I'm Running Two 850's On My 871 Blown 466 Ford,7 1/2 To 1 Cr.it's Running 93 Gps @10%under.would There Be An Advantage To Switching To A Bird Catcher Style Injection . Would I Have To Manually Squirt Gas In It Every Time I Start It?would Injection Give Me More Hp Leaving Everything Else The Same?would I Use More Fuel? Thanks In Advance For Your Dilligence!

I recently switched from un-blown carburated gas to un-blown injected alky.
    First of all the switch for me was very simple due to having someone who knows injection help me out.
    Injectors & the way you tune them are very simple. But everyone does it different & many make it way to complicated.
    I switched to Alky for the ease of tuning. Anywhere close & she runs like a rapped ape.
    An injector (especially a bird catcher)will be more responsive. with that it will be harder to drive when not wide open. for your deal I would look into a bug catcher or a Hilborn. The bug will work it is just bigger.
    The injector will be less fuel efficient. Unless wide open you will be fat, especially at idle. Remember no accel. pumps mean you are idling with enough fuel to take full throttle.
    Depending on your plumbing you should only need the bottle after she has sat over night. After mine is fired in the morning I am good all day. This also depends how you shut the motor off. I turn the fuel off then pull the mag a few seconds later. She can sit for hours & then turn the fuel on & hit the starter & she fires.
    The Kinsler web site has a huge amount of information. Download & print up there catalogs (there are 2) Huge amount of information in there. They don't just list parts they explain how to set them up.
    For a performance application I will not ever run a carburater again. I just love the simplicity & performance of an injector. I am starting to get a handle on injected alky. Injected gas I would not do.
    Performance wise I don't know if you will gain going to injection, if you switch to alky you will, but on a blown deal the switch is a bit more complicated especially with a ford.

Liberator TJ1984
    Marty , get someone let you borrow a set of dominators and try them first if possible and see if it makes a differnce ( everyone told me I was stuipid to swap my 850s for 1050's ...stock bore 454 ...yadda yadda but they made a big noticible difference ...a hat would just allow the blower to breath easier > less intake restriction @ WOT ...big carbs work just as well ), you wanna go faster , pulley up
    injected gas is a mother to tune from just what i've seen ? and most folks just jump to alky and be done with it , but your compression is low for that change . for a lakeable boat you might be happier with carbs ?
    anyway be careful BRO

atxwrangler
    wow, that is a lot of good info,thanks!i've got a lot of reserch to do over the winter.i use the boat as a lake boat,so i'm not sure if i really need injection,but,it sounds easier to tune,and seems to me like it would be more efficient,atomizing the fuel under a higher pressure.i saw in this months ***boat mag where [page 84] race pumps make a manual fuel pump i can bolt right in place of my clay smith 120.they make a carburated and efi version.

atxwrangler
    Marty , get someone let you borrow a set of dominators and try them first if possible and see if it makes a differnce ( everyone told me I was stuipid to swap my 850s for 1050's ...stock bore 454 ...yadda yadda but they made a big noticible difference ...a hat would just allow the blower to breath easier > less intake restriction @ WOT ...big carbs work just as well ), you wanna go faster , pulley up
    injected gas is a mother to tune from just what i've seen ? and most folks just jump to alky and be done with it , but your compression is low for that change . for a lakeable boat you might be happier with carbs ?
    anyway be careful BRO
    good thinking chris,i have 850's ,so would 1050's make a difference still?that may be the way to go.BTW,I just wanna break that 100 mark,then i'll be done!

Liberator TJ1984
    I picked up about 300 or so rpm's by going to the dominators but tuning could have been a difference too ? thats why I mentioned trying them first. If your goal is only 100mph you should be able to get that swapping pulleys , maybe at just 1:1 ..I was fixing to swap over to alky but when you start adding a hat and other varibles it just wasn't worth the extra hassles to me anyways.And like I said earlier almost everyone I know that ran blown gas got frustrated trying to tune on it ...and jumped to alky ...everyone at jetfest with a hat was running alky ...Not Gas hint ,hint

wow, that is a lot of good info,thanks!i've got a lot of reserch to do over the winter.i use the boat as a lake boat,so i'm not sure if i really need injection,but,it sounds easier to tune,and seems to me like it would be more efficient,atomizing the fuel under a higher pressure.i saw in this months ***boat mag where [page 84] race pumps make a manual fuel pump i can bolt right in place of my clay smith 120.they make a carburated and efi version.
    Sounds like for your deal the dominators may be the way to go.
    BTW- If you go mechanical injection you wan't a cam driven fuel pump. The key to the whole system is a fuel curve that first follows the motor rpm. You then tune for the required fuel curve.

IMPATIENT 1
    good thinking chris,i have 850's ,so would 1050's make a difference still?that may be the way to go.BTW,I just wanna break that 100 mark,then i'll be done!
    marty, put some damn 112 in it, feed that biatch 12lbs of boost and go do some work man:devil: your not even working your motor yet and its doin 93, overdrive that's 8-71 15% with some race fuel in it and 105mph is gonna come quik when ya mash down hard do all of us admirers of your sweet ass boat a favor and OVERDRIVE THAT CHEYENNE!!!! 1 TO 1 RATIO AIN'T ENOUGH! my buddy went from 1 to 1 on his 500+cube bbc tx-20and a new weiand 8-71, ran 93, went to 15-17% over(went from @5-6lbs up to 12lbs) and ran 107 and he still had more timing he could've fed it!

atxwrangler
    L.M.F.A.O.,,TOM YOU CRACK ME UP!I prolly just need to put the one to one pulley i bought to good use,i just bought one. i'm running av gas now,though i really don't need to.i'll prolly buy a drum of 110 next summer and go for it!

VDRIVERACING
    You go with the 110 gas, 15% OD, and some dominators, and you're gonna think that motor is on steriods. AND, it will be very driveable at lower speeds.
    Mixed reviews on the Race Pump; didn't work at all for me. You have a good fuel pump, just make sure you have massive lines and a unrestrictive in line filter. I run 10 all the way to the regulator, then 6's are good to the carbs. The 10 to the regulator just seems to make it happy.
    On dominators it's critical for the butterflies to be perfectly spaced in the bores, and open about 5-8/1000's to idle up and down. have a GAS!

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast