Thread: Mallory Vl box location?

78 propduster
    I would like to mount it under the deck, about 15 feet of wire would need to be added. would this effect the signal to the coil or the operation?
    Thanks for the info.

Not sure about the coil pickup but if your going to have to extend the main power feeds and if these things are anything like the MSD 6 box's you need to run a smaller gauge wire (thicker wire), msd says to go down 1 gauge. Have you checked the manual that came with the box?

78 propduster
    Thanks for the info, i'll do some research on that, didnt see anything with the original paperwork.

R.A.D.man
    I have a Mallory Hyfire VI box under the dash on a 17-ft jet, actually on the bow support, so it's pretty far up there. I ran it in the back first to verify performance, then moved it forward and never saw any ill effects. I spoke with Mallory, they wern't sure how far I could go, they wern't very helpful, but they were encouraging. I did use larger than normal wire for all the wire to it, but I'd have to look and see what it is, (#10 or #8, not real sure). I say go for it, just don't cut any corners on the wiring.

78 propduster
    Thanks! Thats exactly where I want to install it. Good to know that it will work. I have e-mailed questions to Mallory in the past, took weeks before I got a reply.
    Are you using the boost retard?

R.A.D.man
    Are you using the boost retard?
    No. But, if I do change the settings, I get the results I expect so it should work if you need it.
    Additionally, my coil is right next to the disributor. I didn't see the need to do anything different there.

78 propduster
    Thanks