Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: The Doo Dad worked.

welk2party
    I imagine that is what being a father is all about. Nothing more inspiring then that! :wink:

Jordy
    That is so cool Info. You never cease to amaze me.

Sherpa
    that is extremely cool you have the vision to make things to help
    him out.
    too bad not many dads spend as much time with their kids...
    beer's to you-!
    --Sherpa

Havasu Cig
    Very cool!!!
    Does he have any problems working the clutch?
    Props to you and your son.

HavasuDreamin'
    Great job Info. And a great post. Info. Jr. is one lucky kid.

78Eliminator
    Info, which digits is he missing? The do dad looks good but I am wondering if he speed shifts or uses the clutch. That is the only deal I would work on: an easier way to flog the clutch.......
    Oh yeah, and BTW, good job! I don't think of your son as hadicapped at all. There is no difference between you installing a do dad, as it is to adjust the spring in the shock for your weight. You're simply tailering the motorcycle for the rider. Nuff said.

Infomaniac
    Thanks again everyone. He is missing all of his fingers on his left hand. He has most of his thumb.
    What causes this condition is his hand was caught in the ligaments that support the uterus and starved his fingers for oxygen. Could have beren much worse.
    He can grip the clutch lever to take off. I let him shift without the clutch when he gets going, just let off the gas. He pushes it in to stop.
    Have only ridden the bike twice. I am sure we can improve on the design.

78Eliminator
    I was thinking if you made another clutch lever. It could be basically just like the do dad with the sponge cover. It would be like if the clutch lever was turned so it was facing the sky. Info Jr. could shift by his fore arm. Get what I am saying. The motion he would make with his arm, would be similar to the twisting motion he makes when he gives it gas with his right hand. Did I state this clearly or am I not coming across?
    I think with that design, he could speed shift with the clutch....

Havasu Cig
    78's idea might work....
    I have been sitting here thinking of ideas such as dual levers on the other side ect... but 78's idea sounds better.
    I raced MX for years and used to shift without the clutch often near the end of moto's where I had arm pump so bad I could not pull the lever. It sounds like this method is working well for him. The only down side I can see is not being able to fan the clutch out of turns ect...but I am sure you guys will figure it out.
    Good luck.

eliminatedsprinter
    Originally posted by Infomaniac
    Have always wondered if the Doo Dads I build for Info Jr would work for him on a motorcycle.
    Some Already know he was born without any fingers on his left hand. I build these so he can hang on. He can get his hand in and out easily. He wedges his hand upward against the Doo Dad.
    http://www.***boat.com/image_center/...C00101-med.JPG
    Has never slowed him down on his bikes.
    http://www.***boat.com/image_center/...11Jump-med.jpg
    We did the pocket bike thing for a week, sold them and finally went for a real motorcycle with a clutch. Bought one today. Flipped the clutch around so he can push it. Installed the Doo Dad so he can hang on.
    http://www.***boat.com/image_center/...oo_Dad-med.jpg
    First day with the thing and he is getting some air. I guess the kid has issues. Will move up to some real jumps when the mud dries up.
    http://www.***boat.com/image_center/...n_Jump-med.jpg
    Adapted sports is part of what I do for a living and I can't think of a way to improve upon this for your application. Good job.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast