I am in the market for a new stereo system for my boat. What I have now is a bunch of holes and cut wires were my stereo was before it got stolen.
What I had was a Sony CD unit, 2 sets of 6.5 2 way Infinity Reference Series mounted up high. One pair at front seats and another pair at back seats. 1 pair 6x9 2 way Infinity Reference speakers mounted 2 feet below 6.5's at back seats. 2 10" Access Technology Subwoofers mounted under back seat running free air. 1 Audiobahn 6x75 watt amp for the 6 speakers and an Autotek 2x250 for subs. (Not positive on sub amp but close)
I liked the Sony head unit in that it didn't skip much. I want to stay with the Sony so that I can add the wired remote.
1. When getting the new unit should I get one with dual preout
or dual with a sub preout
The Infinity's didn't sound bad but they didn't have the crisp clear sound I would like. They either had alot of air space behind them or they opened up into a storage area in the side panels.
1. Would it help to box them in from behind?
2. Would it be worth upgrading speaker and to what?
I like the subs in that they are marine and had a sturdy plastic grill. I listen to rock and alternative most of the time and I like the bass to fill and not overpower everything. I like a crisp bass not booming. I think I am going with the billet covers and don't neccesarily need the marine subs.
1.What subs and should I add 2 more?
2. Should I box them or keep them free air?
I liked the Audiobahn 6 channel amp. It never heated up. I liked that it had dual fans and a meter to tell me how many volts was getting to it. I am thinking of getting another Audiobahn for my subs. I like that they have a remote bass control. The price I can get these amps at seems right. I had this amp for only one season. What is the long term reliability of these amps? Pro's and con's of these amps.
Sorry for the long post and thanks ahead of time for any comments,suggestions and help.
John