Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: New Cam is here whatcha think???

396_WAYS_TO_SPIT
    Originally posted by AZKC
    Now now, we have Larry's down here in Tucson He's turned out a few good motors from his machine shop
    Yes, he does some top notch work as well. bergeron speaks highly of him Hell thats who I got my first set of headers and motor mounts from. They hooked me up. I paid $375 for both

396_WAYS_TO_SPIT
    Originally posted by h2ojet001
    I am building a similar engine also (BBC, 468 ci, edelbrock marine heads, etc. etc) I talked to george at clay smith today and he recommended basically the same cam. 340 adv, 258@.050, .615 lift, 108 lobe sep, solid lifter and said to install at 106 center line. With all the differing opinions I not sure if this will be to big now. What do you think chevy guys.
    Barry
    RUN that B!tch

396_WAYS_TO_SPIT
    Originally posted by jordanpaulk
    As I recall you're runnin' a Ferd and 396 is runnin' a Chevy. That could explain the problem...
    Jordy, where the hell have you been?????? I havent talked to you in a long time brotha. Hows ol' yeller doin? Are you going to be ready this summer? We need to go lookin' for the lawnmower men together Oh and by the way, I will have some serious tail on this baby too You know how I do the tail, if you dont see me look for tha tail. It will be hangin' up there
    396_Ya_Brotha_From_Anotha_Motha!

Jordy
    Originally posted by 396_WAYS_TO_SPIT
    Jordy, where the hell have you been?????? I havent talked to you in a long time brotha. Hows ol' yeller doin? Are you going to be ready this summer? We need to go lookin' for the lawnmower men together Oh and by the way, I will have some serious tail on this baby too You know how I do the tail, if you dont see me look for tha tail. It will be hangin' up there
    396_Ya_Brotha_From_Anotha_Motha!
    I've been so busy lately that it's uncanny. As far as yeller, she's here. Looks like some subtle changes will be made shortly, and for the better, but yes, we'll be ready for this summer. I was so busy last year that between work and the river I didn't get out to Saguaro one time. Gotta change that this year.

Fiat48
    Originally posted by BLOWNDEAVER
    I RAN THE SAME CAM IN A 454+30 12.5 TO 1 IN A SOUTHWINDS,MERLIN IRON HEADS,MERLIN INTAKE,850 HOLLEY,TRIED NUMERIOUS IMPELLERS A AB B BC AND NEVERED TURNED OVER 5800 RPM THE CAM HAS TO MUCH DURATION TO WORK GREAT IN A JET, WHAT YOU HAVE TO REMEMBER CLAY BUILDS CARS NOT BOATS!!!!!!! THIS IS JUST MY OPION AND I AM PLANNING ON USING MY CAM ON TROUT LINE NEXT YEAR ,
    Before I say much, let me enter my disclaimer here. I don't and have never had a jet boat. Bear this in mind while reading this post.
    I am confused by you changing the impellers you did and never seeing an RPM increase. 256@ .050 at .050 is not that big a camshaft, actually pretty small. The merlin head flows pretty good so I could understand more lift even possibly as high as .750 would help. At 12.5 compression with a 108 seperation I would have thought that camshaft to be very hard leaving and adequate to about 6500 rpm.
    Did you ever find a camshaft that went above 5800 on your combo? Without questioning your tuning abilitys, do you think you might have had a fuel supply problem or other problem keeping you from reaching higher RPM?
    Unless I have something wrong, cutting the impellor down in size is like changing gears. I don't understand no rpm increase.

TopCat
    Originally posted by h2ojet001
    I am building a similar engine also (BBC, 468 ci, edelbrock marine heads, etc. etc) I talked to george at clay smith today and he recommended basically the same cam. 340 adv, 258@.050, .615 lift, 108 lobe sep, solid lifter and said to install at 106 center line. With all the differing opinions I not sure if this will be to big now. What do you think chevy guys.
    Barry 340 is not basiclly the same cam-You put that in a jet and i'll tell you what will happen hell i'll bet money on it--- the boat will leave like a stock engine or worse for 300- 400ft then it wont come to life til 3/4 then she'll wake up unfortuntely if you were racing someone you just lost and if you open up your lash like some do for more R's it'd be worse and if you could tighten it up it'd still wallow but thats just my opinion

Jim Brock
    that cam is not 340adv. dur. it is 304adv, that cam in a 468 chevy91/2 comp. dual 660's berk B empellor will turn 5800-6000 rpm, if iot doesn't you didn't degree it in or can't tune. Jim

Foggerjet
    This is what I think of Clay Smith

BLOWNDEAVER
    Originally posted by Fiat48
    Before I say much, let me enter my disclaimer here. I don't and have never had a jet boat. Bear this in mind while reading this post.
    I am confused by you changing the impellers you did and never seeing an RPM increase. 256@ .050 at .050 is not that big a camshaft, actually pretty small. The merlin head flows pretty good so I could understand more lift even possibly as high as .750 would help. At 12.5 compression with a 108 seperation I would have thought that camshaft to be very hard leaving and adequate to about 6500 rpm.
    Did you ever find a camshaft that went above 5800 on your combo? Without questioning your tuning abilitys, do you think you might have had a fuel supply problem or other problem keeping you from reaching higher RPM?
    Unless I have something wrong, cutting the impellor down in size is like changing gears. I don't understand no rpm increase. after changing impeller the highest rpm ever achieved is what i stated.no i have not found a different cam yet but still searching

cheech
    if you are running an MSD ign. system try a chip that is 500 rpm's more (but watch the tach) and see if you have a bad chip. some of them are off by 800 rpm's

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast