Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Alright let's settle this here and now!!

Mandelon
    Pickups trucks on the freeway. For best mileage, is it........
    Tailgate up or tailgate down???

framer1
    Probably down but you look so cheap when you do it

Banshee
    I agree, down is best for mileage. A good alternative would be to get some sort of tonneau cover. Has the same effect and hides your cargo.

Checkmate
    WRONG ANSWER...
    There have been studies done and it has been proven that you get better gas mileage with the tailgate UP. It seems that the bed fills with air and creates some pressure to keep the incoming air out of the bed for the most part.
    A tonneau cover was the best for fuel economy though.
    Also, if you leave your gate down alot, your cables will break due to being jarred by bumps. Took my buddy a year and 5 cables to realize it.

spectratoad
    I believe that the manufacturer puts their trucks in the wind tunnel and designs the aerodynamics with the tailgate up. I have heard that t-down affects the areo-d's and reduces mileage but who knows.

hoolign
    down definitley down...425432 tailgates in the state of Montana yeah...I'm a very good driver yeah..,my dad used to let me drive with the tailgate up...yeah.....

Tom Brown
    I drove with a tailgate down for two years on two trucks. Someone told me it would help me get better fuel economy so I did it but never clocked it both ways.
    Also, I understand that a driver wearing a white t-shirt with a pack of smokes stuffed in the shirt sleeve will get two MPG less than a driver wearing a cardigan.

hoolign
    Hey Tom...how much for two??? one can fix the gelcoat the other can buff it out
    (Free Havasu Barney...)

NorCal Gameshow
    Originally posted by Tom Brown
    I drove with a tailgate down for two years on two trucks. Someone told me it would help me get better fuel economy so I did it but never clocked it both ways.
    Also, I understand that a driver wearing a white t-shirt with a pack of smokes stuffed in the shirt sleeve will get two MPG less than a driver wearing a cardigan.

tom, was that test done with the window up or down ?

GlastronGuy
    Originally posted by Checkmate
    WRONG ANSWER...
    There have been studies done and it has been proven that you get better gas mileage with the tailgate UP. It seems that the bed fills with air and creates some pressure to keep the incoming air out of the bed for the most part.
    A tonneau cover was the best for fuel economy though.
    Also, if you leave your gate down alot, your cables will break due to being jarred by bumps. Took my buddy a year and 5 cables to realize it.
    This is the correct answer.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast