Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Will Hi-helix blowers work on gas?

Robbie Racer
    I see the alcohol drag guys running hi-helix blowers and making a lot of power due to better efficiency over the standard roots type blowers. Has anyone had any success running a hi-helix blower on gas in a sustained duty (not just 1/4 mile) application? The cooling effect of the alcohol probably helps keep the rotors from growing due to the heat. But in a gas application, the cooling wouldn't be there and I would think that the rotors might grow and hit each other. Any thoughts from anyone that has used a hi-helix successfully on a blown gas application? R/R

BLOWNDEAVER
    I REALLY HOPE SOMEONE REPLIES TO THIS, I JUST BOUGHT A HI-HELIX AND BEFORE ORDERING NEW HAT ,I NEED TO KNOW ALSO LET ME KNOW IF YOU HEAR A REPLY

Fiat48
    I would call one of the blower guys (Like Mert Littlefield) and ask him. I don't see why there would be a problem as long as the clearances in the blower were set up loose for gas.

Infomaniac
    That would be what I would say Fiat.
    The design of the blower should not matter if set up for the proper fuel and application.

BLOWNDEAVER
    I SPOKE WITH LEE AT LITTLEFIELD TODAY HE TOLD ME TO RUN IT BUT YOU CAN CALL AND GET YOUR OWN ADVICE 714-992-9292

Fiat48
    Originally posted by BLOWNDEAVER
    I SPOKE WITH LEE AT LITTLEFIELD TODAY HE TOLD ME TO RUN IT BUT YOU CAN CALL AND GET YOUR OWN ADVICE 714-992-9292
    Did Lee ask what the bottom clearances were on your blower and did he ask any other questions?

Robbie Racer
    BlownDeaver, are you planning on running your hi-helix set up on blown gas in a drag boat or some other application? I have seen them run succesfully in drag boats but they run a ton of fuel through them which may help keep the rotors from getting hot and growing too much. I would think that Info and Fiat are probably correct in that if the blower were designed with the proper clearances for gas, then it ought to work. But then I wonder if you have a big enough clearance to prevent binding of the rotors, do you really gain anything over the traditional roots blowers? It would be interesting to hear from someone that has actually used a hi-helix in a high performance pleasure boat application.

100mph
    If I am recalling my history correctly, the high helix rotors are an attempt to make a roots act more like a screw (psi), which by design is a more effecient blower (true internal compression), so I wonder if there is really much difference in heat built by either roots style rotor. I would have to agree that as long as it's been clearanced for extended (all day skiing) use, and gas as fuel it should work just fine. IMHO
    Dan

J540
    High Helix blowers run very hot on lake boats, especially at idle, my avatar here shows a double stripped 14-71 retrofit High Helix, set just like you set up any gas blower...... but the pie opening on the bottom is cut open, still pie shape, but 11" long. too much friction because it's all sealed up and you must run port nozzles on top at the end of the blower (opposite the drive end - front). If you want, I can take some pic's of mine so you can see it. buy the way i run my boat from needles to Havasu, sandbar , topock,a lot . if you frequent Havasu/Topock you probably seen it
    - John

Robbie Racer
    John, thanks for the information. I didn't think about it running hotter at an idle. That could be an issue on a lake boat with some of the long 5 mph zones. Yeah some pics would be great. Check your PM's. R/R

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast