Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Did I Hear Right?? Drain Lake Powell

Not So Fast
    I know the tree huggers have been lobbying for this but I NEVER thought it could be. My neighbor said he was watching Dateline or 60 Minutes or Nightline ect. the other nite about this very subject and the gut feeling he got was that it could very well become reality. He said it had to do with finding old indian ruins, towns and stuff like that. Didn't they know what was there before the dam was built? Dont they realize the value of that amount of water in times of drought, supposedly they believe that Mead could hold enough water??? Then why is Powell down about 125' and Mead about 80'. My goal in life is to see Lake Powell first hand so please tell me this ain't so. Maybe he was smokin some of that tree stuff, I hope so anyway NSF

Mandelon
    Never gonna happen.

MsDrmr
    I have only been to Powell once in my life and aside from a couple other places I have seen it was one of the most beautiful places I have visited. I hope that is not the case.
    I suppose it would be sad if there were a city down there and bodies buried, but if that is the case, let them rest, why go thorugh the cost of draining, moving and refilling the thing??? I know Indian burials are sacred land, but can they legally do that?

INSman
    I doubt it will happen as well, especially since there are some estimates that the snow pack this year could possibly yield upwards of 30' or more of water level. :idea:
    I just got into a new houseboat timeshare last year and had an incredible 10 days and can't wait till the trip back again this year in August !!

DEEZ NUTTS
    Millions of $$$ being spent by the tribe on an new marina. Dont think the hippies are gonna over rule the Navajo Nation.

INSman
    Millions of $$$ being spent by the tribe on an new marina. Dont think the hippies are gonna over rule the Navajo Nation.
    Yeah, I forgot about that one (Antelope Point), very very nice !!!

Mardonzi
    Drain the Lake??? Ain't gonna happen in our grandchildrens lifetime. There has been so much speculation on it and it is all unfounded.
    The Treehuggers use so many different approaches and not one of them hold water. They have used the archeological pretense. Granted when the dam was built, enviromental impact assessments weren't a reality like they are now. Fortunately, the govt is smart enough to realize that if they drain the lake, it won't be like it was prior to filling in 1,000 years.
    Another strike against the enviro-weenies is the fact that the power generation from the dam is a clean product. No smoke, no radiation, just electricity. The Govt sells this to the Western Power Co-op which generates revenue. The construction cost of the dam was paid off quite a few years ago so it is a definate money maker. Another item for thought is the coal fired power plant (Navajo Generation Station). This is a "clean" plant and is the 7th largest power producer in the United States. The water necessary to operate this plant and it's scrubbers comes from Lake Powell. Take away the water, and you have lost a healthy chunk of the Western U.S.'s Power generation capacity (Brown Outs 'R' Us).
    The Enviros have also used the approach that the dam is unstable due to the water eroding (sp) the bedrock that the dam is set in. The B.O.R. has gone so far as to do engineering studies and assessments on the location for a new dam, just in case this ever becomes a reality. The location for this is approximately 1/2 mile downriver from the existing dam (this information was given to me by a friend that works for the Bureau).
    And now for the Best News Of All!!!! As of the 9th of April, they have reduced outflow to minimum requirements and the LAKE IS COMING UP!!!

DEEZ NUTTS
    hey deez the gas pumps are open, is the store open yet?
    What are you already running low on ice? I dont know about the store. Mardonzi??

Mardonzi
    Mary will find out tomorrow. The pisser is that launching is done there only by Antelope Point Staff and is pricy,, $46 to launch and retrieve your boat (see link)http://www.azmarinas.com/AntelopePoint/launchramp.asp

DEEZ NUTTS
    But if you launch at Antelope you miss out on one of Powells best features. The structural integrity test.
    http://www2.***boat.com/image_center...872_Small_.JPG

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast