Page 1 of 13 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: 496 HO upgrades?

tg9380
    Does anyone know what upgrades are available for the H.O., besides supercharging? I saw a whipple ad in a magazine about a year ago that was advertising a kit to put out 525 hp non supercharged, but I haven't heard any more about it since then.

Havasu_Dreamin
    I'm not an engine expert by any stretch of the imagination but the consensus seems to be "don't do it" with the 496 HO. Somethine about the internals not being up to the task of the supercharging.

BoatFloating
    Originally posted by tg9380
    Does anyone know what upgrades are available for the H.O., besides supercharging? I saw a whipple ad in a magazine about a year ago that was advertising a kit to put out 525 hp non supercharged, but I haven't heard any more about it since then.
    Arizona Speed and Marine has a kit that takes it to 625 HP I think.
    Look here (http://www.azspeed-marine.com/)

BoatFloating
    Originally posted by Havasu_Dreamin
    I'm not an engine expert by any stretch of the imagination but the consensus seems to be "don't do it" with the 496 HO. Somethine about the internals not being up to the task of the supercharging. ..
    He said besides supercharging. And I don't think the interals are that bad....

Flashwave
    The HO internals are very good. The way to get HP out of the HO is to make it breath. Depending on what you want, a good set of headers is a start. Should get you to 450-460 HP. After that, porting the heads and remapping the PCM. AZ Speed has done a lot of work on the 496 and is a good place to find out what can be done. They designed a new intake manifold and along with other work, can push it to 600 HP.
    J

Havasu_Dreamin
    Originally posted by BoatFloating
    He said besides supercharging. And I don't think the interals are that bad....
    Like I said, I'm not an engine expert, more like an engine idiot. I was just trying to recall what had been said in previous threads about adding power to the 496 HO.

BoatFloating
    Originally posted by Havasu_Dreamin
    Like I said, I'm not an engine expert, more like an engine idiot. I was just trying to recall what had been said in previous threads about adding power to the 496 HO.
    We all aren't the brightest. The weakest thing on the motor is me working on it. The pistions are the only down fall and even they have been fine for me with Procharger on it.

rivercrazy
    The CMI's are supposed to be the best exhaust on this motor.
    Whipple has some of the best upgrades available for that motor. They have 4 or 5 different packages ranging from ECU reprogramming, to full blown whipple supercharger. They are on of the few aftermarket company's authorized by Merc to do ECU reprogramming on the 555 unit.

DM25CITATION
    check out raylar kit if anybody wants to upgrade a 496
    website is raylarengine.com

Kachina26
    Look here at Shadow's Raylar experiance. click (http://www2.***boat.com/forums/showt...ghlight=raylar)

Page 1 of 13 1234511 ... LastLast