Page 3 of 13 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: 496 HO upgrades?

Dave C
    so you did NOT do a reprogram? correct?
    If not, I'm gonna go hack the motherf_cker out right now! :hammerhea :wink:
    AS Phebus said,i'm running stock exhaust,there is a restrictor plate between the top of the manifold and the riser,i removed that plate and ported out the exhaust.As far as the computer,keep in mind they already have the paramiters set in them and will adjust as the inputs to the computer change.
    no need to send your ecu out to have it reprogramed if you don't open it up so it can breathe.

phebus
    No, he did not reprogram. I am looking into the kit, and have taliked to him quite a bit about his. He is extremely happy with it, and when they did the install at Absolute, they did all the tricks necessary (such as the exhaust porting) for the kit to perform at it's best.

shadow
    Here's a pic of just one of the bottlenecks in the 496.
    this is on top of the exhaust manifold between the manifold and riser.http://www.hotboatpics.com/pics/data...CF1482-med.JPG
    4" exhaust with a 2" passage.

spectras only
    Shadow , did you ask merc what's the reason for the
    restrictor plate ? I wonder if I have them in my
    377's .

phebus
    Darrell, is there any reasons for the restrictive gaskets? I think I heard something about preventing reversion of water. If not, I wonder what would be gained out of an otherwise stock 496HO with the restrictions removed?

phebus
    Also, did you cut out that gasket and reuse it, or does Merc sell a different gasket without the restriction?

shadow
    Darrell, is there any reasons for the restrictive gaskets? I think I heard something about preventing reversion of water. If not, I wonder what would be gained out of an otherwise stock 496HO with the restrictions removed?
    I don't know what mercs reason is for the restrictors is but as high as the manifold is and elbow i wouldn't be concerned with reversion.(on my set up).
    and if you look at any aftermarket headers i don't think any choke down the exhaust like that.Not sure if you'd see any noticeable difference by removing them without a cam or intake.Maybe but i don't want to say you would.
    Phebus next time you are in town let me know and come over and i'll show you my stock intake off the engine and you'll be amazed at the intake air flow.It all bottlenecks into a small chamber under the intake in the valley of the block"heat".this is heating the intake air before it gets to the intake ports on the heads.working opposite of a superchiller.it's a super heater.I belive the intake was designed this way for a truck and emissions.I belive the 496 is a great bullet proof engine but there is unused and availible HP there to be had.Keeping the stock reliability.

LHC30Victory
    Regarding that restrictor..... From a post on Offshore only (if I remember it right) Ray at Raylar posted that the piece is there to catch the little bit of condensation that may be in the system and to provide a place for it to evaporate. It does not protect against typical reversion (which I think is a cam related problem) or excess water flowing into the manifold from a clogged exhaust.
    His opinion -- dump it :chi:
    Now, if I could only land that second job to pay for two of his marvelous kits...

Dave C
    Phebus... I am gonna find out! I gonna hack that M-fer out right away!.... :devil: :notam:
    If not, I wonder what would be gained out of an otherwise stock 496HO with the restrictions removed?
    Shadow ... thanks for the info. Stock intake manifolds have always sucked. That is the first thing that I like to throw away!
    Once I save enough pennies I will be in the market for one!

phebus
    I did a search on OSO, and found the thread from Ray at Raylar. They dynoed a stock 496HO with and then without the restrictors. It dynoed at 15-20 more HP without the restrictors. He said it might be worth 1 MPH to take them out. They were just sandwiched between two gaskets, so it was an easy removal.
    That was on a stock motor. A motor with his upgrades, that breathes better would have more to gain with the removal.

Page 3 of 13 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast