Page 5 of 13 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast

Thread: 496 HO upgrades?

prosthogod
    Yes, you can just remove them. Certain conditions you may want to consider though. Here is a good link on the subject. Read the post from Raylar. Turbulator's (http://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/s...ht=turbulators)
    Thanks for the link. For $20 bucks and 1-2 hrs of work =20hp I think it is worth it. I'll do it in a couple of weeks when I get my new mufflers to install. Gibsons =$299.00 to add back the restriction. So maybe it will all equal out.

phebus
    Anyone know who would stock the gaskets? I would like to pick some up so if and when I decide to remove the restrictors I've got them already.

Raylar
    When I have unbolted all the risers that we have worked on, there are actually two of the graphite and metal gaskets, one on each side of the restrictor plate. they usually come apart in great shape and I have always resued them with no problems or issues. By the way for those interested we made 600HP and 626ft/lbs of torque today on the dyno with a 496 with our BCK106 kit and the block fitted with our new pistons and rods. The really amazing news is we did it again with the Merc ECM with its stock HO program!! Amazing right! not for those guys at Raylar! Who are those guys anyway?
    Ray @ Raylar

Kachina26
    or you are one of these boaters with a below the water line tip exit
    So, does this mean that if the exhaust exits below the waterline, then you should not remove the turbulator even with the Raylar kit?

INSman
    When I have unbolted all the risers that we have worked on, there are actually two of the graphite and metal gaskets, one on each side of the restrictor plate. they usually come apart in great shape and I have always resued them with no problems or issues. By the way for those interested we made 600HP and 626ft/lbs of torque today on the dyno with a 496 with our BCK106 kit and the block fitted with our new pistons and rods. The really amazing news is we did it again with the Merc ECM with its stock HO program!! Amazing right! not for those guys at Raylar! Who are those guys anyway?
    Ray @ Raylar
    Okay then Ray, why don't you put the 106 cam with the new pistons and rods in my twin install for the same price you are already charging me and we can really have some fun ??!! I know you really don't want to make money at this gig, it is all about the passion and just knowing that you are making a difference in the world, right ?? :jawdrop: :idea:
    Heck, may as well really sweeten the deal with those nice forged cranks too !

Raylar
    INSman:
    Don't think the world is ready for you yet with two 600HP motors in that "Shocker" of yours, we'll have to work you up in little steps. Whats "your" industry going to say about you ripping along at those speeds! :wink:
    Kachina 26
    I think the only thing thats will really ever be a problem with below the waterline exhausts would be backing down to hard at idle and if becomes that kind of a problem, the plates wouldn't be enough real protection.

Dave C
    Hey I saw that you had some extra parts on your website and I figured you had something cooking.
    Ray @ Raylar

INSman
    INSman:
    Don't think the world is ready for you yet with two 600HP motors in that "Shocker" of yours, we'll have to work you up in little steps. Whats "your" industry going to say about you ripping along at those speeds! :wink:
    Kachina 26
    I think the only thing thats will really ever be a problem with below the waterline exhausts would be backing down to hard at idle and if becomes that kind of a problem, the plates wouldn't be enough real protection.
    My new mantra is "Go big or go home". Don't you worry about me, I need to go fast and have that Raylar banner flying from my rear Nav light pole for all to see !!!! Heck, we should already get about 550 with the headers, what's another 50 or so ??

phebus
    there are actually two of the graphite and metal gaskets, one on each side of the restrictor plate. they usually come apart in great shape and I have always resued them with no problems or issues.
    Ray, did you just use one of the graphite gaskets when you put it back together, or did you just remove the restrictor, and bolt it back up with both gaskets? I plan on doing this later this week.
    Thanks

franky
    From what I have been told (by a couple different people who have dynoed the 496) the stock exhaust manifolds flow pretty well and the money ($2,500- $3,500) you will spend on aftermarket exhaust will only gain you an extra 10-20 HP. Better spent on something else, like towards a Raylar kit. BTW, I stripped the paint off my risers while I had them off and had them polished (they are stainless), cheep bling.

Page 5 of 13 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast