Thread: Prop for my current boat

Boozer
    My current Boat has a 4.3 litre Mercruiser V6. 19' boat. The current prop is a 3 blade 18 pitch. I am at 5300' elevation. I was talking to a guy that said he has the same boat and threw a 21 pitch 3 blade on and picked up about 10 mph. The dealership I bought my boat from said that 18 pitch is ideal for this elevation but the guy I talked to is saying different.
    I don't want to drop the cash for a prop that isn't going to work for me. My current prop has hit a couple rocks and will be needing replaced pretty soon.
    Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

powerplay230
    Have you looked at Mercurymarine.com's prop site. Not sure how accurate it is but can give a rough idea. Also there are one or two manufacturers that will guarantee their props or exchange them.

Boozer
    According to Merc I can go 21 pitch. So her's my next Question. Whats the advantage to going with a SS prop rather then just a cast prop? Is cupping really going to make much of a difference?

powerplay230
    Cupping and the material it are made of are two different subjects. Advantage of stainless from what I understand is it doesn't flex or change shape near as much as cast aluminum does. Think the only advantage an aluminum prop has is if you hit something with it, remember the weakest link is always first to break (hopefully).

btbuilder2
    just my 2 cents, but i would not spend the money on a SS prop for A V.6 IT WILL BOG the motor down, due to it being heavier, i would just go with alu 19, it will be the best set up for that power plant!! and will give you more top end, that you are looking for,and not break things in side the drive if you hit something i would go with a 14.1/2x 19 alum!!!!!

drbones
    btbuilder2
    What do you mean a SS prop will bogg engine down?
    I run a SS vengance(sp) 19 prop on a 91 4.3lx with a 1:84 drive...turns 4750rpm's ..@50mph
    ..are you saying that a 19 alum would have a faster topend ?

h2oski2fast
    The SS prop has less flex which will in turn give more forward thrust= more effeciency. As far as the destruction factor if you hit something, you are incorrect in assuming that the SS prop will do more internal damage then a Aluminum prop apon impacting something. Both props will have a break away hub, unless ordered without one (for high HP applications, to help keep the internals of the drive from breaking due to impact. If you decide to get a new prop, go to a custom prop shop. Most of them will let you exchange an undamaged prop (that you purchaced from them) for a different pitch/style at no charge untill you find the prop that works best for you.

Snorider
    Boozer, what RPM is the motor turning with the current prop (@ WOT, trimmed out for top speed)... This makes all the difference in changing props.
    If your current setup is turning around 5000rpm, the prop on your boat is somewhat ideal. If it is high, around 5300+, go to the 21. If it is low, around 4500, put the 18 on...
    I agree with bones, a vengeance SS prop shouldnt bog down the motor. Granted, if you put a mirage on it, you would bog it down like crazy.
    Also, if you get a used prop, make sure it is the new style (open hub that you install a plastic insert in). The only style had a sold hub with a rubber insert.
    The new style (in theory) should break the hub insert instead of your gearset if you hit something solid.
    [ August 11, 2003, 06:41 PM: Message edited by: Snorider ]

powerplay230
    I looked at my prop and stand corrected, hub is a separated piece.... Don't know why I hate being wrong I have enough practice at it

SUPERCREWJOHN
    Boozer:
    My current Boat has a 4.3 litre Mercruiser V6. 19' boat. The current prop is a 3 blade 18 pitch. I am at 5300' elevation. I was talking to a guy that said he has the same boat and threw a 21 pitch 3 blade on and picked up about 10 mph. The dealership I bought my boat from said that 18 pitch is ideal for this elevation but the guy I talked to is saying different.
    I don't want to drop the cash for a prop that isn't going to work for me. My current prop has hit a couple rocks and will be needing replaced pretty soon.
    Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. How about a pair of oars!! J/K or bubble gum and tin foil for the prop!! Props + Rocks = Ouch $ = depth gauge only $200