Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: What is used to blueprint the bottom of the Hull

63stevens
    What material is used to blueprint the bottom of the boat? What do they put on it to take out the hook and fill in the low spots?

i know im a jet owner, but i was informed that in my application, that you would use a product called "Marglass" wich you should not have a problem finding in most any A/B supply house!
    although, back when i removed all of the hook from my hull... i was not aware of the HB site, so i went ahead and "glassed" in the hook...i did not have much at all (hook) but it was still alot of work!
    i am very curious to know if there is any other methods as well?
    todd

BILLY.B
    Glass, Marglass, and even the high end bondo will work, (not the cheap stuff from Pep boys). I added some length to my strakes and made them out of Z-grip by Evercoat (bondo). It has been on there for 2 seasons and looks great. I went over the bondo with resin to seal it up and then speed coated the area. Marglass works great also, the bondo was just easier to shape for my situation. Just make sure to seal it up with resin.

Jake W
    Alot of people use Rage Gold also sands easy and easy to work with.
    Jake

DUCKY
    All of these methods work well. I like to try and use whats already there. If you have a major hook, add more glass to the inside of the boat (so you don't go through) and air file the bottom until it's gone. That goes for sharpening the lifting strakes as well. Then just use filler as necessary and speedcoat, gel coat or prime for paint...... Just my opinion, but if your adding material to the outside of the hull to lose a hook, your just making the hook longer and less noticeable, not really removing it......

BILLY.B
    Originally posted by DUCKY
    but if your adding material to the outside of the hull to lose a hook, your just making the hook longer and less noticeable, not really removing it......

is'nt the idea of removing hook,....to essentially, remove the hook, not move it around?
    did i read that right?
    no toe crunchin here!

Cas
    here's a link to a pictorial essay of one of the guys in our club that removed the hook. In the pic labeled Blpnt3, you can literally see the hook he had
    http://community.webshots.com/album/35860873JHJruE

Originally posted by DUCKY
    All of these methods work well. I like to try and use whats already there. If you have a major hook, add more glass to the inside of the boat (so you don't go through) and air file the bottom until it's gone. That goes for sharpening the lifting strakes as well. Then just use filler as necessary and speedcoat, gel coat or prime for paint...... Just my opinion, but if your adding material to the outside of the hull to lose a hook, your just making the hook longer and less noticeable, not really removing it......
    Ducky,
    I don't want to start a flaming thing here, but that's the wierdest advice I've ever read on this board. What are you talking about?
    You mean to tell me that if a customer brings a boat to you to remove the hook, that's the way you do it? You'd pull the engine(goes with out saying) rip out the carpet, remove the floor and add glass to the inside? replace the floor, and carpet and then flip the boat. Then, you'd grind down the GOOD surface, the flat or straight one, you'd grind down that flat surface of the bottom to the same level as the DISTORTED one. Where the hook is? Thats insane. It doesn't even make sense.
    What if a boat only has hook on one side and you fix it that way. Now one side of your boat has a different degree than the other side, because your way, you'd have to grind the bottom from somewhere in front of the dash to the transom to make it straight. What, would you go grind on the other side just to match what you've done to the first ??? You'd have to to make it right, but that's just wierd.
    If you're adding material to the bottom of a boat, (which is the right way to do it) and you still have hook, or like you said, you've made the hook longer, you're not working a big enough area.
    You can add material to the inside so you can grind rocker out. And I've added some material to boats down the keel, to grind in a delta pad in, but to remove hook? I dunno man, sounds crazy to me.
    No offense, but if I took a boat to a shop to be worked on and that's how I was told it was going to be done, my truck, trailer and boat would be just a blur.

BILLY.B
    Originally posted by old rigger
    Thats insane. It doesn't even make sense.
    If you're adding material to the bottom of a boat, (which is the right way to do it) and you still have hook, or like you said, you've made the hook longer, you're not working a big enough area.
    I dunno man, sounds crazy to me.
    Thats what i'm talking about....

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast