Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: Commander Perspective

PlyaPlya22
    Originally posted by MRS FLYIN VEE
    so what are the answers.. LOL!!
    Stepping up to the plate is step one. Now remember Rome was not built in a day...

MRS FLYIN VEE
    LOL!! I do give them credit for that..

Ziggy
    Originally posted by RiverDave
    BigKatBoat, simply put... (Being P.C.) I disagree..
    You keep asking what makes them the best? To put it plain n simple... Reputation would be the word that I choose.
    The reason why I'd choose "reputation" is becuase a reputation doesn't come out of thin air.. It is developed over time, and isn't something that advertising dollars can buy, It isn't something that can be swayed one way or the other by the mfg, it for lack of a better saying "Is what it is, becuase the boats speak for themselves."
    If your wondering what seperates the industry leaders from the avg or lower line builders... Go throw some real HP in one and find out for yourself.. LOL
    RD
    And your "pick of the boat show" was: Hawian??? for its reputation??? No offence Dave but your talking in circles. You said it before, a boat is a boat, right? The reputation part has more to do with how you/they can deal with issues during and after a purchase. Otherwise so many boats are comparable and personal likes, tastes come into effect on choosing the brand one will want to purchase.
    Industry Leaders are the brands that sell most, maybe because of designs or looks, features etc....or maybe because they have good/agressive sales forces, or maybe cuz they have a big shiney showroom where I was ignored(oops, did I say "I" ) or a host of other factors.
    I do agree with your saying that Sy is probably leaving money on the table by not charging more for his boats, if he did that then maybe he could afford to handle the odd situation with a little more expediency and people might have more pride of ownership.
    You are also right about how reputation is built, it can't be bought, well not directly at least......and I think Sy gained some by coming in here and putting up his posts.

Ziggy
    Ziggy, Ziggy, Ziggy, Ziggy.....
    Actually No Ziggy.. My "pick" of the boatshow was the hawaiian deckboat for it's layout.. I mentioned there shitty reputation (quality as well) in that very post right after that. For me to build that boat, Hawaiian really wouldn't be doing much other then letting a crew of subcontractors use the mold, and or supervise those jackasses while their doing it. As far as putting HP to that boat, bottom of it is a 28 Warlock (proven bottom) so it shouldn't be an issue so long as they splashed it half ass well.
    No your reading it in circles.. I wrote it pretty straight. (I'll get into that in a second with the Sy leaving money on the table part)
    Actually to be perfectly honest I believe it really doesn't have much to do with "minor" issues.. Many of the "industry leaders" are actually hard to deal with in some respects.. Others will take care of you like they owe ya something.. It has more to do with actual "performance" and or in most cases "scalable performance" (As an example get a Merc dealio and whipple it later.. contrary to popular belief you can't do that on every hull becuase of stability issues)
    Once again I gotta go with the contrary... Most of the people that I'd consider "industry leaders" build far fewer boats then the "norm" or "average" boat builders..
    I didn't say Sy was leaving money on the table.. I said if his boats were the best at a cheaper price then he would be leaving money on the table.. I don't believe they are "the best" and therefore not worth more then what he's currently charging.
    I'd agree with that 100%... Up until 2 days ago I really had no interest in Commander boats on any level.. Now I am interested and if Sy holds true to his word on everything he wrote here, hell I'd even consider getting an "Entry Level" boat from him becuase when I buy my 1st new boat I'll on a pretty stringent budget.
    RD
    I understand your positions Dave--it makes sense.
    Many others look at purchases with their back pockets too, thus the plethera of boat builders that fill each niche the best they can, we all knock Bayliner but it fills a need out there too.

OGShocker
    becuase when I buy my 1st new boat I'll on a pretty stringent budget.
    RD
    Ummmm? Hell, nevermind.

Ziggy
    Well I'll be on some sorta budget anyways... LOL
    RD
    Just not a Bayliner budget I hope

BADBLOWN572
    Originally posted by steve singhal
    1. Because of our tireless scrutiny of rigging and details, the Commander quality is constanttly improving. The boats built today are better than those built previously. The proof is the
    overwhelming PUBLIC response in the recently concluded L.A. Show.
    Tireless scrutiny of rigging and details? When was the last time that you went under the dash of one of your boats and taken a look at the quality of the wiring? I can tell you from someone that was in the industry that it is CRAP! A bird's nest has more organization than the wires under the dash of the Commander boats. I had a friend who had a Commander and it was a decent looking boat from the outside until you got into the wiring and rigging. From there what a cluster ****! They used red and black wires for everything and there was no organization. We ended up taking out the wiring harness and re-building it to our standards. That way we could be sure that it was done right.
    Originally posted by steve singhal
    2. An ex-commander owner, Ken of Wizzard Billet Engineering, who purchased a 100 mph DCB in 1997, before Commander came out with a CAT, is a strong beliver in our quality. He states that as an outside observer for many years, he can say that Commander prices are better because of my business-like approach. (I acquired the company 16 years ago to run it as a successful usiness and not a hobby) Ken is willing to share his belief with anyone who would like him to do so.
    As for your 100mph cat...what a joke. I drove and rode in the first one that was ever built with a big motor. I believe that it had either a 800 or 900SC engine with a #3 outdrive. I remember being out at Elsinore with my boat and seeing that boat out there. I went for a ride and the thing hit mid to high 90's. The owner said that the management of Commander gave their word that the boat would run over 100 all day long. The guy said that he had tapped 100 once and that was running out of lake. He said that he paid over 100k and said that for the money he paid he should have gotten a boat that was at least a 100mph boat.
    I admit that it takes a lot of guts to jump into the fire here. Needless to say that Commander gets blasted freequently and for you to step up and admit that you have made some serious mistakes, I applaude you. However the word Commander and "best" should not be used in the same sentance. If Commander ever got their shit together, they would have a nice product, but in the current capacity, I would honestly look at Commander as a last resort. Take it for what it is worth, comming from a person who has been in or around the industry for 90% of their lives, something serious is lacking in both the quality and customer service over at Commander.

Catfever
    http://www.***boat.com/image_center/...rtcat1-med.jpg Hey, BaDBlown572 what did the boat look like you rode in? This one has a 5 drive and a Blown 572. Commander has never built one with a #3 drive, they have built afew with a #5 drive.

CARRERA
    This has all gotten very funny. Last week just about everyone was singing a different tune about Commander Boats.

MRS FLYIN VEE
    Originally posted by CARRERA
    This has all gotten very funny. Last week just about everyone was singing a different tune about Commander Boats.
    I'm still singing.. J/K

Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast