Thread: 454 Mag water problem

wannabiggerboat
    On the last run of the year going to the trailer the 454MAG MPI in a 95 272 Baja suddenly quit. It has water in all 4 cylinders of the port side. A new manifold was recently installed. I have not begun to trouble shoot yet. Has anyone had a similar problem before and might know what this is. I guess worst case is a cracked head but i'm hoping for something a little less dramatic. The boat is used in salt water and left in a marina and has 300hrs on it. Also the boat runs 55mph with a bravoIII drive and the bottom has been painted. Does anyone have a speed for this boat with the same engine package.

1BIGJIM
    You said new manifold was installed? I assume an exhaust manifold. Thats the only way to get water in all four cylinders. (2) If you are running the exhaust through the prop the flapper is stuck open on the port side. I have seen this several times, and that would be my guess.
    Good Luck

wannabiggerboat
    The cylinders fill with water when running on garden hose. The boat is eqipped with captains call exhaust and was running in thru-hull mode when the problem arose.

Dr. Eagle
    1BIGJIM:
    You said new manifold was installed? I assume an exhaust manifold. Thats the only way to get water in all four cylinders. (2) If you are running the exhaust through the prop the flapper is stuck open on the port side. I have seen this several times, and that would be my guess.
    Good Luck If you used IMCO or similar aftermarket manifolds, they can leak back down into the engine between the manifold and riser. It happened to me on my boat (2 boats ago) and the engine hydraulically locked up. It turned out to be the gasket leaking between the water passage and the inside of the manifold. Especially sounds like it might be the prob since it was not in the water.

powerplay230
    Can the rookie ask a question?- what brand of manifolds and how many hours were on them. Also you didn't replace risers at same time, I don't think it's a big deal for thru-prop but the place they usually leak is between the manifold and riser. Have been there twice in 18 months.... thanks original 3 yr old manifolds and THANKS AQUAPOWER! Don't skimp here cost me a motor the second time even though I went bigger and am much happier (albeit poorer)!
    Good luck,
    Rich

wannabiggerboat
    The boat has stock merc cast iron manifolds with merc cast stainless risers. Both manifolds have been replaced but i'm not sure about the risers, have not had the boat that long. if the rain holds off tomorrow i'll start rippin into it and keep everyone informed, i'm just hoping nothing is badly hurt, i know the damage that can happen when a motor hydralics but it never did lock up. Hopefully just a riser gasket or head gasket. If it was a cracked head i wouldn't think there'd be water in all four cylinders. This forum is a great spot and I thank all for thier input.

1BIGJIM
    Ok I am with you now. When I had to check mine one time this is what I did. Loosen all the exhaust manifold bolts so you can pull the manifold away from the cylinder head. Next clamp a garden hose to one of the hoses off the exhaust manifold. Plug the other hose. Turn on the water. If it starts coming out the exhaust ports on the exhaust manifold you have found your problem. The leak must be large and easy to find. And to the head gasket question it would not fill all cylinders.

wannabiggerboat
    I've ran the boat with the water disconnected from the exhaust manifold and the hose blocked for a few seconds, I drained the manifold first and no difference, it will run and not hydralic but not very well, it was obviously still getting water.I removed the riser and manifold and all looks good with that so it must be a head gasket or the head itself. I removed the top housing for the fuel injection and it looks like some water in the intake as well!

Dr. Eagle
    wannabiggerboat:
    I've ran the boat with the water disconnected from the exhaust manifold and the hose blocked for a few seconds, I drained the manifold first and no difference, it will run and not hydralic but not very well, it was obviously still getting water.I removed the riser and manifold and all looks good with that so it must be a head gasket or the head itself. I removed the top housing for the fuel injection and it looks like some water in the intake as well! Your troubleshooting skills are excellent. But I must say that is a very unusual problem to have. That sounded like a classic exhaust manifold issue.
    I personally have never seen all of the cylinders get water on one bank from a head gasket. Another thing to consider would be to look at the intake manifold, if the head gasket doesn't fix the problem.
    [ October 16, 2003, 09:18 AM: Message edited by: Dr. Eagle ]

wannabiggerboat
    Thanks for all the replies. I'm at the end until I lay hands on a service manual, taking that intake manifold will be a bitch, why couldn't this thing be carburated. I found it real strange that the intake hat would have water and greasy slim in it, shouldn't it be dry? The fuel injectors are a few inches down from there, all that should be there is air.I should've did a compression test maybe first. A cracked head could allow the water from the cylinders to be drove back up the intake could it not?? I guess I wouldn't mind it so much but we only have 2-3 month boating season at best on the east coast of Canada, with so little time it would be nice to run trouble free. Thanks again!