Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bravo 1 ???

Ducatista
    After having my 1999 Bravo 1 in for routine service, it is blowing drive oil out the top of the drive oil container under speed. Its a stock 502mag/ b1 package, 1999, on a 29 ft Cheetah. It appears the oil is comming out of the top of the cap, and flowing down to the hot exhaust. Any ideas of what might cause this? Can air get trapped in the drive and cause this? I've run it for aprox 2 hours and it still seems to be doing it. Any ideas would be appreciated...

chevydog
    The drive is over full. The oil is runnig out the top because the oil gets hot and expands.

Dr. Eagle
    Ducatista:
    After having my 1999 Bravo 1 in for routine service, it is blowing drive oil out the top of the drive oil container under speed. Its a stock 502mag/ b1 package, 1999, on a 29 ft Cheetah. It appears the oil is comming out of the top of the cap, and flowing down to the hot exhaust. Any ideas of what might cause this? Can air get trapped in the drive and cause this? I've run it for aprox 2 hours and it still seems to be doing it. Any ideas would be appreciated... Did you do the service or did a shop do it?
    And yes it is true I am a hard core Zappa fan too...

Formula Dude
    The plastic oil reservoir on the Bravo 1 drive is pressurized. The caps go bad quite often. They stay good until someone touches them. The seal goes bad or you get hairline cracks. Under pressure it will leak.

Ducatista
    I had a shop do the work...10/4 on the presurization, I will checkout the resevoir and cap next trip to Havasu. I actually had to add drive fluid to the reservoir several times while on the lake, since it was blowing out the top cap. Although I kept it at the lower add line level mark on the reservoir, not the higher full line mark, since it kept leaking out the top. If it is overfull, do you think it will eventually stop and fix itself? Will the cap need to be replaced if this is what was happening due to damage to the cap seal?

Dr. Eagle
    as long as the drive is in fact sealed, it may just have been air caught in a pocket of the drive that then had expanded pushing oil ahead of it. I never had that happen to me, but perhaps the shop did not open the vent opening on the top of the drive when they pumped it full. If that is all the problem is, it should go away...eventually.

Ducatista
    10/4...I was thinking it might be "burping" due to air pockets.....its never done this before though. Thanks for the tips....

DBM
    You have to remove the top cap in order to fill the drive with oil. The air has to exit the cavity in order to be replaced with oil.It is physicaly impossible.
    The oil is pumped in from the bottom and all the air exits thru the top cap,you pump until a little oil comes thru the top, pull the hose out of the bottom and struggle to screw the bottom cap back in, some oil will get back out while trying to get the screw back in the drive. then your supposed to put about ONE INCH OF OIL IN THR RESIVOIR.

Dr. Eagle
    Hnmmmm...never did that with my Bravos and that is not the procedure I saw in my manual...and I never had a problem.
    On the Bravos I had the procedure was to pump until the oil began seeping from the vent opening on top. Then to close the vent opening and pump into the reservoir through the drive.

dorC
    A seal leak will also cause the oil to foam and expand.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast