Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: HP estimate help on a 455

Drunk tank
    Can anyone give me a round about estimate on what a 455 puts out? It's just average with nothing fancy...has exhaust logs and I believe a 650CFM carb (but I'm not sure). The carb is a Holley and the only markings I could find on it were P80. I checked their website but couldnt find a match, if it's even the model. I'm lookin to get some insurance on my boat..mainly just in case anything happened that the passengers would be covered. And all the companies want to know how much HP the engine has. I figure spring break at a hella popular place can be great fun... but booze and folks with fast toys usually are a dangerous combination; if we happen to get tagged by a drunk twit on a jet ski I'd like to not have a huge bill to pay... and then there's always the possibility of what if I fawk up and injure someone (pray that wont ever happen). Rather be safe than sorry.

396_WAYS_TO_SPIT
    Originally posted by Drunk tank
    Can anyone give me a round about estimate on what a 455 puts out? It's just average with nothing fancy...has exhaust logs and I believe a 650CFM carb (but I'm not sure). The carb is a Holley and the only markings I could find on it were P80. I checked their website but couldnt find a match, if it's even the model. I'm lookin to get some insurance on my boat..mainly just in case anything happened that the passengers would be covered. And all the companies want to know how much HP the engine has. I figure spring break at a hella popular place can be great fun... but booze and folks with fast toys usually are a dangerous combination; if we happen to get tagged by a drunk twit on a jet ski I'd like to not have a huge bill to pay... and then there's always the possibility of what if I fawk up and injure someone (pray that wont ever happen). Rather be safe than sorry.
    Roughly 320hp

malcolm
    I believe the highest HP 455 they ever put out was 390. If it's for an insurance man, tell him 250.

Duane HTP
    When Dominator pumps came out, they rated the 455 Olds at 195 usable HP at the pump @ 3600 rpm. That figure always works well with the insurance companies, and it can be backed up.

Drunk tank
    damn...390 HP? For some reason I was thinkin it could put out something like 500 HP.... yep...I'm a dreamer. Now I just gotta figure a way to make that possible; maybe headers, supercharger, higher ground cam... maybe NOS?
    Also, finally looked at the registration for my boat... 1973 18' Eliminator. Damn... if I soup that engine up too much the thing might rip its self out of that OLD glass hull.

BigBoyToys
    damn...390 HP? For some reason I was thinkin it could put out something like 500 HP.... yep...I'm a dreamer. Now I just gotta figure a way to make that possible; maybe headers, supercharger, higher ground cam... maybe NOS?
    If you go throwing that stuff on an Olds without lotsa other things, you'll most likely find yourself tearing the engine down regularly for repairs. You can get 500 hp out of an Olds, but it costs lots of $$ to do it right. You'd be money ahead to yank the motor and throw in a Big Block Chevy if you're looking for reliable HP in the 500+ range.
    Just my .02

Jungle Boy
    Also, finally looked at the registration for my boat... 1973 18' Eliminator. Damn... if I soup that engine up too much the thing might rip its self out of that OLD glass hull.
    If you are going to install a NOS kit on the 455 take your baseball glove with you when you try it out. That way you don't have to go diving for your pistons.

RedRocket
    I'd say 300hp , my insurance company doesn't know the difference between outboards and jets, so I downrated to 250 , but that's big outboard power. You could put the supercharger and nitrous on and go fast for about 10 seconds.

diggler
    My title for my boat with a 455 has 135hp stated on it. I'm a pretty happy camper with the cheaper insurance!

Back Forty
    My title say's 330HP
    I notice that quite a few big block powered boats are stated as 330 HP...? I'm talking about chevy stuff. Is this just below some cutoff or something?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast