Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: more boost,more timing,or both?

HP350SC
    I talked to Dustin and he recommended 6-7lbs. at 30 deg. total on 91 octane (hp500 whipple 3.3 big intercooler). Horsepower gain was only 8 at 31 deg. My question is, with 100 octane, would it make much more power at say 8 lbs. or around 32-34 deg. total or both? Wouldn't run like that all the time, just a couple occasions a year.

dc96819
    You can add more timing and boost with 100 octane.

Infomaniac
    Find yourself a "normal" tune up and a "set on kill" tune up for when you need it.
    Each of them being boost, timing and fuel mixture

RACER52
    does this mean your done and dynoed??? If you have the hp500 doesnt the comp. pull timing out on its own?? if so bump it till you see the timing fall and your set! If your n ot set up then check on adding a knock sensor.
    If your carbed then msd makes one of those set-ups I think.
    I thought you could be running close to 10lbs on pump gas???
    And why only a 8hp increase?? Thats discouraging.
    Racer

Infomaniac
    I think the 8 HP was the difference in the timing alone.
    He has a carb version HP500.

HP350SC
    Originally posted by Infomaniac
    Find yourself a "normal" tune up and a "set on kill" tune up for when you need it.
    Each of them being boost, timing and fuel mixture
    Yeah that sounds like a plan. To begin with, I will increase boost only, and not timing. You are correct, that was 8 hp with 1 degree more timing. I think that would mean the gain would be even less going from say 31 to 32 total? In the interest of longevity and stock 500 internals I think timing will stay at 30. Dustin said ANY detonation will lift the heads.
    Racer52- Haven't had motor on dyno, this was all information from Dustin who has done extensive testing on 500's. He told me it will be right around 740 hp/800+ torque. Sure wish I could do the "slug" 970 hp tuneup!!I'm running the Crane HI-6M which has an input for a knock sensor with automatic variable retard. ThunderboltV module not being used now.

P P R
    Mike , what you need to ask yourself is why run 91 octane? 100 is so much cleaner smells better and will keep you away from detonation.

Havasu47
    When you say 100 octane I am assuming you mean AV-Gas. If so this is important. I have used Av-Gas in many application over the last 25 years. It is very dry. The valve seats, cylinder walls, and things like electric fuel pumps do not like it. Most people using Av-Gas are aware that adding Marvel Mystery oil or something similar is a necessity.
    If you were refering to a race type fuel such as VP, sorry for the intrusion.

HOW MUTCH OIL IS NEEDED TO MAKE THING'S HAPPY .
    THANKS .

RACER52
    what is the ratio for 10 gal av gas to oil??? seams cheaper than 100 unocal
    or any ratio=gas to oil

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast