Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Plumbing Intercoolers?

P-Money
    Before I start drilling holes in the boat, I just wanted to get some opinions. What are the advantages/disadvantages of the following options when to comes to plumbing an intercooler for a v-drive application:
    #1: Force feed the intercooler with a pick-up off the cav plate to a Sea Strainer, then to the intercooler and finally dump out both sides of the intercooler back to the river (ie: force fed seperate system).
    #2: Water pick-up to a pump (neovane in my case), then to the intercooler, then dump from the intercooler into the motor, and then out of the motor back into the river (ie: this system would NOT be seperate and would be pump fed). With this option I've heard keeping an eye on water temp will clue you in to when the core is becoming plugged.
    What do you prefer/recommend, #1 or #2? Any opinion or experiences would be greatly appreciated.

Maxey
    P-Money,
    I would go with option #1. I use that on my 502 w/Whipplecharged w/intercooler.
    I use -10 lines on both inlet and outlet.
    The inlet is a dedicated pickup on the bottom of the hull. I dump the water out a -10 fitting on the transom. A pickup on the cav plates would be the same deal.

Craig
    I hooked mine up the way PFM recommends, separate water pick-up to a sea strainer then to the front of the chiller ( -12 hose ) Pressure regulator set at a max of 30 pounds. One -10 hose for the exit at the back.
    Craig

Infomaniac
    I use -10 everywhere. pick up in the bottom of the sponson toward the rear on tunnels or on the transom in "V" hulls. pickup to sea strainer with relief valve - to intercooler - to oil cooler then -10 transom dump.
    lets oil get up to temp and does not intercool at idle.

Havasu47
    All good advice. Don't run water through at idle. When the fuel passes through the inner cooler (at idle) it will slow down, allowing the particles to join. This will create puddles and uneven fuel distribution.

P-Money
    Thanks for the advice everyone. I was leaning towards Option #1, but just wanted to make sure before I moved forward. Thanks again.

J540
    P. go -16 pick up to strainer to pump -12 min, better to go -16 reduce down to -12 at intercooler, then to -10s into motor then out exhaust or boat. A quality intercooler will have a -12 in and -10s out and no pressure reg, don't need one. I have tested my intercooler cores to 235 psi, no leaks. Going into the motor will let you know when the intercooler starts to plug up, cuz the motor will start to run warm, better then waiting till your motor starts detonating and kills it self little by little. One other way to go is to put a psi guage on the inlet side, and check psi at 1000-5000 rpm range and check guage every so offten. Set one up like this, works well....John

Infomaniac
    Well I guess that would depend on the intercooler design.
    The Whipple ranks up there with the best. An intercooler that is "in manifold" has "O" ring seals for the water fittings.

J540
    The Whipple ranks up there with the best. An intercooler that is "in manifold" has "O" ring seals for the water fittings. [/B][/
    QUOTE]
    o'ring seals for water fittings. A lot better than NPT. thats why i designed mine like that.

VD CRUISER
    J540, Do you make a core for the Super Chiller ?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast