Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Does anyone make a 4 to 5-pin connector?

survey76
    Do you guys know of anyone who makes a 4-5 pin connector? My truck, like most trucks, only has a 4-pin connector, and our new boat trailer is setup for a 5-pin. I'd really like to find a 4 to 5 adapter since we tow the boat with different trucks sometimes and it's going to suck to have to have them all rewired.
    Thanks,
    Dan

Kachina26
    Try U-haul. Are you buying the Drone that was at the show?

survey76
    Nah, this is for our new <cough>Supra</cough>.
    Thanks for the tip though, I'll stop by U-haul on the way home.
    -Dan

jackpunx
    u haul wont have it.. Ive looked and was not able to find it anywhere.. Your going to have to run another wire from your back up lights and hook up the 5

JetBoatRich
    Ford has a adapter I got with my last truck? I kept it for this truck and works fine
    Your talking about the little round plug or the stock one on the new trucks?

jackpunx
    I think he is talking about the 4 flat (coming from the truck) .. to 5 flat (coming from the trailer). I had the same issue with mine.. its for surge brakes.. Now that I have the new truck... It has the 4 flat and the 7 round...and the 7 round has an adapter for the 5 flat...
    Phew..
    did that make sense?

JetBoatRich
    Originally posted by jackpunx
    I think he is talking about the 4 flat (coming from the truck) .. to 5 flat (coming from the trailer). I had the same issue with mine.. its for surge brakes.. Now that I have the new truck... It has the 4 flat and the 7 round...and the 7 round has an adapter for the 5 flat...
    Phew..
    did that make sense?
    try to plug the four flat in from a trailer didn't work for me but vI had the adapter for the 7 and works fine

CA Stu
    Run a wire from the reverse lights, cut off your 4 pin and wire a fresh 5 pin connector to the truck==> no more worries.
    Even better than that, wire in a 7 pin round to your truck and mount it to your bumper. Then you have the capability to either be backwards compatible for older connectors no matter what or just wire 7 pin round pluge to your trailers.
    There are reverse adapters down to 4 or 5 pin flat. My truck has a 7 pin and I bought an adapter down to a flat 5 pin for my trailer.
    Thanks
    CA Stu

TrojanDan
    I have a four pin flat on my truck and a 5 pin flat on the trailer. I believe the 5th wire connects to the reverse lights to de-activate/activate the solenoid on the surge brakes to release them for backing up. I know it's a pain in the ass but all you have to do is when backing up the trailer, jump out reverse the plug connection at the trailer to truck connection to upside down, turn on the headlights, and "BAM" you're good to go to back up.
    This is just one way of getting around those instances where you have someone's 4 pin flat truck towing your 5 pin flat trailer and don't want to crawl under the truck and connect to your truck's reverse lights.

survey76
    Thanks Dan, that's exactly what I needed to know! I'll probably go ahead and have my truck wired up for the 5-pin, but that trick will work on my brother's. I knew you guys would have an answer!
    Thanks again all!
    -Dan

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast