Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: King Cobra specs for Gnarley

gnarley
    Miguel, the drive ratio for the King Cobra is 1:43
    Gnarly

not guilty
    Gnarls right mig.,I think without checking in the books that you went from a 1:50 ratio to a 1:43, that would explain your rpm.
    The drive coupler where going to use is the standard merc BBC.It bolts on the flywheel like a clutch,so some drilling of the ford flywheel is possible.The merc. and the omc both have the same input shaft so there is no problem there. The bellhousing does not have a big enough center so it has to be cut and rewelded to accomadate the merc part.
    As for any other problems , weve had none, there a really good unit.
    Johnc-I'll put up a new post tomarrow or sat. with engine specs,kinda on the run now ,thanks for the interest.
    GOTTA GO NG

not guilty
    Originally posted by not guilty:
    Gnarls right mig.,I think without checking in the books that you went from a 1:50 ratio to a 1:43, that would explain your rpm.
    The drive coupler where going to use is the standard merc BBC.(pt # 861523A9)It bolts on the flywheel like a clutch,so some drilling of the ford flywheel is possible.The merc. and the omc both have the same input shaft so there is no problem there. The bellhousing does not have a big enough center so it has to be cut and rewelded to accomadate the merc part.
    As for any other problems , we've had none, there a really good unit.
    Johnc-I'll put up a new post tomarrow or sat. with engine specs,kinda on the run now ,thanks for the interest.
    GOTTA GO NG
    GNARLEY- what kind of drive coupler does that chev come with from omc and do you have a heavy steel flywheel or a flexplate?

not guilty
    ooooppps--didnt mean to quote myself, how egotistical!!! http://free.***boat.net/ubb/biggrin.gif NG

gnarley
    NG, I don't know what drive coupler it comes with. I hope I don't find out for some time, but I will be seeing an OMC trained rigger with 15 years exp in the next few weeks. I will then be asking lost of questions.
    Hey, any idea how you lube the U-joints???
    Gnarley

johnc
    Hey Gnarly,
    Did you get those links I sent you?
    To lube the u-joints you have to pull the drive on my 87. The 94 should be the same. I pay to have it done so I don't know how hard it is to do. Also, there should be a zirk on the side of the drive to lube the gimbal bearing.
    JC

not guilty
    GNARLEY-I'm sure it has the same type as the ford , to my knowledge thats all omc ever made.I thought you had the motor out doing some work to it?I'll get some pictures sent out when we get to doing the mods. NG

gnarley
    Johnc, I did get the links, and found some useful. I think that there must be a way to lube the u-joints without pulling the drive off. I was going to raise the drive then pull the boot back and take a look inside. Having many years of experience racing cars, as a line tech and shop owner there are almost always some shortcuts to do a job. If I find a way I will let you know.
    I truly believe in doing it myself if possible which lets me understand how everything works and the savings might help pay the fuel bills. I can then be satisfied that I know how it works and it was done right even if I find a shortcut. Sometimes it's not how it was done, but that it in fact was.
    By the way whatÂ’s your toy?
    Gnarley

gnarley
    NG, sorry no the motor's not out and I hope I do not need to for a while. Maybe some minor work in the future, re-curve the dist, jet the carb, run the valves and change the blower pulley's, as well as full synthetic in the O/D and the lube job! You know minor stuff. http://plauder-smilies.com/cool.gif
    NG, what your toy?
    Gnarley

johnc
    Gnarley,
    I've got a 1987 21' Laveycraft open bow with the 460 King Cobra. I just got a new interior put in, so shes a little dusty from being in the shop for 3 months. Yes it took them three months! I'll try to get some photos up if I have time to shine her up.
    By the way, what part of the country are you in?
    JC

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast