Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Oil Filters visited again?

powerplay230
    In remember in the past reading a few posts on oil filters and everyone's opinions but..... don't recall if these were mentioned.
    Has anyone had any experience or better yet had one apart of the K&N oil filters. Today at parts store only had choices of Fram, Purolator, or the K&N. Parts guy swears the Purolator are exact same inside as the WIX but I wasn't sure if the K&N were twice the price due to features or advertising. One thing I did like on them is the nut welded to bottom of filter so you don't have to mess with a filter wrench, but if they are garbage inside......?
    Highly respected opinions appreciated (that's all of you)
    Thanks,
    Rick

cheech
    get one of the system-1 filters you can take it apart an inspect it for any sign of trouble before it lets loose, and you won't have to buy another one ever, they come in tall or short. and it goes on just like a standard filter. no re-plumbing like with the obergs.

K&N is not the same as Purolator and is the best quality choice of those mentioned.
    High quality filters IMO in no particular order:
    K&N
    Baldwin
    Wix
    I remember Obergs, in fact we used to sell them years ago. They filtered too good plugged up and fried some motors. Have not used System one

powerplay230
    I didn't mean to infer that K&N and purolator were related in any way. Parts guy did try to make it sound like percolator and Wix were the same but I doubt that. Bought the K&N it has a better feel to it than the other two available at that store.
    Cheech, with the system-1 filters do you buy replacement filter material or clean and reuse
    Thanks guys!
    Rick

Fired Up
    I do remember that thread. The one common fact was that Fram were very poor filters. Wix was good. There was a site that analyzed most of the filters and gave the specifics about construction and filter media.

cheech
    the element is stainless and all you do is clean it with carb or brake clean. the most you will ever have to buy is an o-ring kit. if you don't clean the o-rings with any cleaner's and just wipe them off they last for a long time. the system-1 does have a by-pass built in.

Originally posted by powerplay230
    I didn't mean to infer that K&N and purolator were related in any way. Parts guy did try to make it sound like percolator and Wix were the same but I doubt that. Bought the K&N it has a better feel to it than the other two available at that store.
    Cheech, with the system-1 filters do you buy replacement filter material or clean and reuse
    Thanks guys!
    Rick
    I misread your post. I don't think Puro and Wix are the same either.
    Oil Filter Comparison Link (http://people.msoe.edu/~yoderw/oilfi...lterstudy.html) I added this link to Tech Stuff at the top also so you can find it again easily.

DEL51
    I took a hyraulics class at the local tech college.They had several filters from various manufactures that were taken apart. Quality of the internals were easily discernable.Many of the filters were produced by the same company with different markings on the outside.The best quality was the wix, which also makes Napa gold and silver.we did not have a K&N to test, but if they are as good at oil as they are in in air, should be great. I had a system one and also had problems with an aluminum bushing thredded between the base of the filter and where it spins on.They are better for analysis, you can take them apart.I would opt for a wix or napa filter and change it more freqent than a cheaper filter.AC oil filters from GM are also made by wix.I would suggest shaeffers oil 20w 50 or a good synthetic. Shaeffers proved itself to me on a non engine related application.I now work at power plant and we did a direct comparisson. On Identical Gear boxes drivin by 700 HP electric motors, the shaeffers lubricant out performed synthetic mobil(25 deg Fah).I do not sell the schaeffers and it is not easy to find.If you look for it you can find it.

DEL51 did you happen to run any tests on Lubrication Engineers products back then. They sell primarily to fleets but make some supurb oil. I've been running it exclusively since I had some problems when running penzoil. Jim Wilkes uses it also, including their drive oil. Just wondered if you'd had any experience testing it.

Sleek-Jet
    CarQuest house brand filters are all made by Wix also.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast