Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Oil Filters visited again?

superdave013
    Never used a Wix but here good things about them. I've had good luck with Baldwin 279's so I stick with them. I don't have any by passes in my oiling system and the Baldwin's have them built in the filter.
    I did run a Purolator in a pinch once and just about blew the can apart. I noticed it was leaking out of a seam so I shut things down and removed it.

skeepwerkzaz
    IMHO
    Merc Racing Filter....$10 a pop, but well worth it
    Wix....a little less $$$ but are a good substitute.
    Fram HP series....if I can't get either of the other two....
    I have two filters, and run the merc racing, because they are the best. Any $50,000 engine that uses this oem is good enough for me!
    Clay

superdave013
    Originally posted by skeepwerkzaz
    IMHO
    I have two filters, and run the merc racing, because they are the best. Any $50,000 engine that uses this oem is good enough for me!
    Clay
    I bet ya that Merc is just putting their name on someone else's filter. I would be shocked if they are making their own filters.
    I'm not saying anything is wrong with them as I've never used them. Just wonder who is really making those.

MAD-MarKist
    well let me tell you guys a little secret Wix Filters is based here in my home town and YES it is true WIX is the major manufacturer of just about ALL oil filters. they'll paint them any color you want(orange,white, blue,black,red,ect ect!!)and lable them too!!you get the point...:wink:
    Mark

Mopar426
    I'm suprized that nobody mentions filter spec's or filter media. Really small particles under 5 microns shouldn't cause damage and you wouldn't want a filter to plug up too fast and starve the engine. I heard that depth media is better than pleated paper. I also run a bypass filter next to my regular filter to catch contamination like water, fuel, crankcase acids. The bypass will filter down to 1 micron, but doesn't inhibit oil flow if it plugs up. As far as filters go I run Amsoil or hastings.

Damon
    I use the largest FLEETGUARD filter I can get on my SBC. They are considered by many to be the best filter available for diesels, and a lot of the guys that get 500,000+ miles on there engines swear by that brand.
    I am not sure of the number, but there is an extended version of the standard sbc size, and that's what I run.
    Check this site out for filter/oil info
    http://theoildrop.server101.com/cgi/ultimatebb.cgi?

Just Tool'n
    Originally posted by skeepwerkzaz
    IMHO
    Clay
    Fram HP= Would not build oil pressure.
    Tore the engine apart 2 months ago, now this was the last time I used the boat last season. Bearings were starting to fail.
    Bottom line, no more Fram stuff for me!

HOSS
    As Mopar426 mentioned. Its the micron entrapment capability that determines a filters usefullness. Most filters are the same. If you change your oil every 3k rhen whats the point of an expensive filter? That`s just the way I see it.

Damon
    The problem I have with that theory is that some cheaply produced yet popular filters (Fram), utilize cheap components in their construction- such as plastic and cardboard. I do not want cardboard inside my oil filter.
    It's no coincidence that Fram has the reputation that they do. They have built up over many years this common reputation for being a poor quality filter. They are popular because they market, market, market, and they give big money to race teams to tell people that they use them.

DEL51
    Rex, sorry I did not get back to this topic, lots of work lately.We use Mobil, Lubrication engineers,Shaefers, and Royal purple. Unfortunately, the shaefers and mobil one were the only 2 lubes compared. Alot of our choices are determined by the O.E.M. The shaeffer guy provided free product for testing. The Lube engineer stuff we use is sprayed on to a ring gear.Its like a cross between honey and tar,it works well. Hoss, Excellant point of changing frequently. I guess it depends on what your comfortable with. I would use good stuff and change it frequently. We use 2800 gallons of oil in some turbines and add oil as needed. The oil is filtered down to one micron occaionally by using a separate pump and filter setup.We also use a portable centrifuge to remove water. Any opinions about the Lucas products?

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast