Thread: What is your take on a Volva DPX drive?

THOR
    I am considering one, but I know they are not as popular as the Bravo package.
    What some downfalls or beneifits?
    thanks.

Havasu Hangin'
    First of all, I resent you saying that this section is slow.
    Having said that...the DPX is very strong...I'd put it on par with an Bravo XZ or maybe an XR. They are tough to break, and built for salt water.
    However, it's tough to find aftermarket parts like drive showers, external steering, etc. Also, those Swedes build some great parts...but prices are a little higher to get them across the pond.

THOR
    Do the dual props take away any speed. It would seem logical to assume that dual props create more drag therefore making the top speed slower as well. BTW, the boat that has the drive doesnt have any checkers.

Havasu Hangin'
    Originally posted by THOR
    Do the dual props take away any speed...
    In general...most people agree that 2 props are slower on the top end (like you said...more blade in the water). However, on some boats it matters less than others. The tradeoff is a great (no slip) holeshot.
    With a drive as hooked up like that, most people won't care about a MPH or two lost on the top end. The other end of the spectrum would be a surface drive...all top end...all business.
    Counter-rotating props have another benefit- no torque steer. Single-engine deeper V's will sometimes lean at slower speeds from a single prop. Also, in a duoprop, the drive is aiming dead straight at speed.
    Another myth is two props to ding. Most of the time, only the front prop takes the abuse. However, two props are more expensive than one.
    On a mild-performance (family) boat...I think it's a great choice (you rarely hear about failures). If you're looking for top speed...mount that drive a little higher and make it a Blackhawk!
    PS- glad to hear about the checkers...I hear those things slow you down.