Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: AntiVirus Programs

gnarley
    Originally posted by bigq
    Thats what the hacker that uses your machine for DOS attacks likes to here. J/K
    Just buy a MAC and you should be fine.
    I have a firewall and only have some of the basic ports open and am quite secure I also do periodic scans of my system with Ad-aware and spybot.
    When working I am a system administrator and know the risks and how to protect myself from them and it is a constant education.
    I don't like virus protection on my system, it's like being in the boat and driving it with an anchor out and slowing the system down.

FMluvswater
    I use AVG. It has caught viruses and obliterated them. I also use something by McAffee called stinger (http://vil.nai.com/vil/stinger/). It works great also. I'm not brand loyal - I'll use whatever's free as long as it works. So far so good. Ad-aware is great too not really anti-virus but it weeds out ads that can carry trojan viruses ... I think. It finds bad stuff and gets rid of it and that's all I need to know.

bigq
    Originally posted by gnarley
    I have a firewall and only have some of the basic ports open and am quite secure I also do periodic scans of my system with Ad-aware and spybot.
    When working I am a system administrator and know the risks and how to protect myself from them and it is a constant education.
    I don't like virus protection on my system, it's like being in the boat and driving it with an anchor out and slowing the system down.
    WOW, a systems administrator.
    constant education is an understatement.

gnarley
    Originally posted by bigq
    WOW, a systems administrator.
    constant education is an understatement.
    I don’t know if that’s a kudos or sarcasm? The point was you need to receive something that will penetrate your system and most times it is unsolicited email or from a friend that opened or previewed an email that let code execute and sent itself to you next. I don’t open from people I don’t know unless I see a reason & I don’t open most attachments. If I don’t know for sure I contact the sender.
    In addition I use Steven (http://www.softwaredevelopment.net.au/pge_steven.htm) a third party email scanning and retrieving system to force anyone who sent me a message to respond to a reply request in order for that email address to be added to my accepted list, no response, not accepted and then my email application does not retrieve junk or spam and have little to filter out.

Waldo
    Our home computer has been acting up a lot lately. Just yesterday it started freezing, stalling, and basically just crapping out on me. It was very hard to do anything.
    I am glad this thread came up as I had let my previous free edition of Norton (which I received w/the computer) run out. I downloaded AVG last night and scanned the entire system. My computer had over 200 files infected with 3 different viruses.
    Guess it was my own fault, I know I get crap from downloading music and the like. Thanks for bringing this topic to life!

bigq
    Originally posted by gnarley
    I don’t know if that’s a kudos or sarcasm?
    A little of both, it was just the tone of your invincibility.
    I am in the field also, just poking fun. kudos though for the constant education, sometimes keeping pace is a daunting task.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123