Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: BERRYESSA IS BRIMMED (Pics)

Lakes, Your pics are great but there is trouble brewing for Berryessa. It seems the Sierra Club is pushing BLM to close down some or all the resorts at Berryessa and return the land back to the natural settings before development. They [BLM] are pushing for " putting family-oriented and nature-centered activities at the forefront" The Sierra Club claims " Many of our members [now] consider the lake inhospitable to the more natural forms of recreation" and stated club preferred designation and operation of the lake as a public park and campground with a limited commerical presence. Right now they are looking to eliminate the trailers/mobile homes from the resorts but that is just the first of many steps used to take over and change the lake to a more serene and natural setting with the utlimate goal of elimating or severly restricting all powerboats from the lake. For more info see the Outdoors section of the SF Chronicle Thursday Feb. 5th. Maybe I should have started a new thread instead of hi-jacking yours.

Rock-it man
    Looks like a nice lake ,guess id better get down there before they shut it down. Is there any boating events on that lake this summer ????
    That hole Scares the he&% out of me wont want to get too close !!!!!!

fourspeednup
    That's what a gloryhole is? I was wayyyyy off

gnarley
    The Glory Hole is the overflow, no spillway at this lake if memory serves me and there is a cable going across the area near the dam that prevents you from getting to close.
    058 I read about the problems with some of the trailers last year, I doubt that there would be more tree hugers using the lake than recreational boaters on any day, boaters need to band to gether to stop'em or they will slowly get their way. I just don't see them using it in the summer when its hot but they would want it their way or no way and they don't know how to get along.

Sleek-Jet
    Originally posted by gnarley
    058 I read about the problems with some of the trailers last year, I doubt that there would be more tree hugers using the lake than recreational boaters on any day, boaters need to band to gether to stop'em or they will slowly get their way. I just don't see them using it in the summer when its hot but they would want it their way or no way and they don't know how to get along.
    I've said it on here before, and I'll say it again, boaters need to join the Blue Ribbon Coalition (here is their website www.sharetrails.org ).
    These guys organized to keep public land and recreation areas from being shut down by eco-waco's.
    I've been a member for several year and they are on the up and up.
    That being said, it's nice to see a lake that's full. Can't wait till summer.

randy77zt
    another blue ribbon coalition member.i enjoy my motorsports.i want land that i support with my tax money to be open for my use.nice berryessa pics!

LakesOnly
    Originally posted by 058
    Lakes, Your pics are great but there is trouble brewing for Berryessa....
    Tell me about it; I have a friend that has a trailer at Rancho Monticello. I was looking at a double-wide for sale there, and he said forget it because rumor is that everybody has to be out by 2008. The intentions are to make some fully government-contolled park out of the whole deal (or something like that). I guess I shouldn't be surprised that the tree-huggers are involved...
    LO

Dr. Eagle
    Damn, I have lived in the great north state for 23 years now and I have not seen that lake full. I don't always go there every year with Folsom Lake in my backyard though.
    And now I am going to be here in Southern California for a while so I will probably miss Berryessa being full! Crap!!!

LakesOnly
    Originally posted by fourspeednup
    That's what a gloryhole is? I was wayyyyy off
    At 30 feet across, it could easily swallow a boat, were it not for being roped off by a string of logs...
    LO

Dr. Eagle
    Originally posted by LakesOnly
    At 30 feet across, it could easily swallow a boat, were it not for being roped off by a string of logs...
    LO
    Pictures of that thing always scared the crap out of me... Kind of like a bottomless pit...but with water in it!

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast