Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Atkins coroners report...

eliminatedsprinter
    Originally posted by Tom Brown
    Back when the Atkins diet first came around, I was living with a woman who was one of the first adopters. It was interesting how many doctors were quick to cite high cholesterol, stroke, heart disease, and other issues likely to be caused by the diet.
    I encouraged her not to do it but she was strong willed, did it, and lost some weight. A couple of years later we found out that there was no evidence of cholesterol problems caused by the diet and, if anything, it tended to lower it a wee bit.
    It seems like a case of jealousy for someone who came up with a unique and successful solution to an age-old problem which no one else had thought of before. My hat is off to Dr. Atkins and his transvestite lifestyle.
    Actually when it first appeared in the 70s it was more extreme and people who followed it to the letter often sufferd extreme wasting of lean body mass. At the time there were numerous deaths do to cardiac atrophy that were attributed to it. This more recent version is less restrictive on carbs, so this time around there are far less of these sorts of problems.

mirvin
    It's funny, there's a definate smear campaign going on right now. Can you blame em? I'm sure it's being orchistrated by the bread & grain industry or maybe the sugar & sweets industry.
    Mirvin

eliminatedsprinter
    Originally posted by mirvin
    It's funny, there's a definate smear campaign going on right now. Can you blame em? I'm sure it's being orchistrated by the bread & grain industry or maybe the sugar & sweets industry.
    Mirvin
    The only people who are smearing it are the P.E.T.A. vegan types, because they will smear anyone who they percieve as promoting the eating of meat.
    As far as the rest of us (health care types) our concernes are based largely on how bad it was the first time around. And the fact that objective properly peer reviewed scientific reasearch has yet to validate it's effectiveness and safety in it's current form.
    There really hasn't been time for any quality long term/ large sample sized studies to provide enough objective data for the health care field to embrace it yet.

MobyMan
    I know,
    Let's ban the diet all together. It worked for Ephedra.
    No doubt we'll be seeing a lot more examples of how some fat ass moronic slobs that die from heart disease manage to have their deaths attributed to the diet.
    The papers will interveiw their next of kin, and we will all be told that if (fill in name here) had only known of the possible downsides to the Atkin's life style if not followed properly, they would still be alive today. Upon further research the autopsy will show that this person was gobbling down thousands of grams of carbs in private and had only read the first two pages of the book, but that information won't find it's way back to the media.
    In the end, we will probably need the FDA to step in and protect us from ourselves once again.

bigq
    Originally posted by eliminatedsprinter
    The only people who are smearing it are the P.E.T.A. vegan types, because they will smear anyone who they percieve as promoting the eating of meat.
    As far as the rest of us (health care types) our concernes are based largely on how bad it was the first time around. And the fact that objective properly peer reviewed scientific reasearch has yet to validate it's effectiveness and safety in it's current form.
    There really hasn't been time for any quality long term/ large sample sized studies to provide enough objective data for the health care field to embrace it yet.
    But yet there was for everyone to jump on the Hi carb low fat diet frenzy of the late 80's and 90's.
    I guess that has nothing to do with the wide body kids and increase in diabetes or many of the other health problems.....oh wait thats video games .
    actually you can be a vegan and have a hi protein low carb diet. I see your point though.

rrrr
    I agree with those that think it's just fashionable to bash the guy. Typical bullshit from the press and shortdicks of our time. He lived to be 80, and died from an accident. What more dooya want?
    Friggen' talking heads drive me psycho!!!
    Or reject it either. You can't criticize OR praise it if the studies haven't been done properly.

eliminatedsprinter
    Well, I' m just one of those old foggies who (for normal healthy people) believes in a well balanced diet that contians good food from all of the major food groups. Sort of an all things in moderation approach. I do not believe that refined suger is bad for you. It's just that it is just a poor source of nutrients, so it should not be ingested in massive quanties, the way so many people do. The same is true for many fats and almost all saturated fats.
    For a health care type, I actually have an open mind twards the Atkins diet. I know many dietitions who think it is looney and even dangerous for many people.
    I don't blame them for thinking that, because some of the "scientific" claims of the atkins foundation are nuts and based on what can mostly be called pop or junk science. You see, for many people if they see huge flaws in the "science" behind it they figure it must also be nutty. I'm not that way. I have seen some good results in people who are on it in it's current form. Just because the atkins people are basing there diet on near voodoo doesn't mean it can't work. For example in the 17th, 18th, and 19th centuries europeans believed that swamp gasses or vapors caused maleria. So, when they settled in the tropics they drained the swamps. Just because the reason was flawed didn't mean the practice was bad. This is how I feel about Atkins it seems to work for many, but at present know one seems to know why (least of all it's proponents).

Tom Brown
    Knock it or not, it does seem to work. My friend Jeff has lost several dress sizes on it.

eliminatedsprinter
    Knock it or not, it does seem to work. My friend Jeff has lost several dress sizes on it.
    One of your best Tom...LOL.

Forkin' Crazy
    LMAO!
    I think it works. Carbohydrates, or sugars, are converted and stored as fat in the body. Potatoes (baked, fried, etc) is made of complex carbohydrates that are broken down into sugars. That's why I laugh at the so-called healthy (diet) foods that most fast food restaurants that advertise it as such (like Wendy's).
    Fat on the other hand, takes way longer to be broken down into sugars so it can be stored as fat. That is why you can eat a lot of meat in a protein diet.
    Before every summer, I diet. I stop drinking cokes, and eating complex carbs. It works for me.
    BTW Tom, I don't go by dress sizes....

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast