Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Atkins coroners report...

eliminatedsprinter
    Originally posted by Forkin' Crazy
    LMAO!
    I think it works. Carbohydrates, or sugars, are converted and stored as fat in the body. Potatoes (baked, fried, etc) is made of complex carbohydrates that are broken down into sugars. That's why I laugh at the so-called healthy (diet) foods that most fast food restaurants that advertise it as such (like Wendy's).
    Fat on the other hand, takes way longer to be broken down into sugars so it can be stored as fat. That is why you can eat a lot of meat in a protein diet.
    Before every summer, I diet. I stop drinking cokes, and eating complex carbs. It works for me.
    BTW Tom, I don't go by dress sizes....
    Hmmmm Instead of pointing out the physiological flaws here (minor). I'll take this one step further into the simpliest proven facts on wt loss.
    Wt gain or wt loss is basically based on one simple equation.
    Energy in VS Energy out......
    Energy in > Energy out = Wt gain
    Energy out >Energy in = Wt loss
    Energy out= Energy in = Wt maint.
    Fats, the upside. They are absorbed in the gut slower than carbs and ETOH.
    Fats the downside. They contain almost 4 times the usable energy per gram as protien, carbs, or ETOH (yes Elizabeth your body does break down ETOH for fuel or break it down and store as fat).
    Protiens may be absorbed a little bit slower than , but contain about the same amount of usable energy as carbs or ETOH.
    These are some simple basic undisputed facts of wt loss and wt gain that have been proven over and over again in every species of animal that has been tested for such things.
    To achieve wt loss all one has to do is establish a negitve energy balance. If wt loss on a scale is all that's important to you, how you achieve a negitive balance is irrelevant. Of course there are healthy ways and less healthy ways to do this. All I'm saying is learn as much as you can about about your body from as reliable of sources as you can.
    It never stops amazing me how so many people will spend countless hours reading goofy health mags, but never even think of picking up a basic physiology text. If you got a new merc 300x ProMax and had to care for it yourself would you get a merc tech manual or would you get a bunch of back issues of Boating Life and hope you could find enough good info in there?....

FMluvswater

bigq
    Originally posted by eliminatedsprinter
    Hmmmm Instead of pointing out the physiological flaws here (minor). I'll take this one step further into the simpliest proven facts on wt loss.
    Wt gain or wt loss is basically based on one simple equation.
    Energy in VS Energy out......
    Energy in > Energy out = Wt gain
    Energy out >Energy in = Wt loss
    Energy out= Energy in = Wt maint.
    Fats, the upside. They are absorbed in the gut slower than carbs and ETOH.
    Fats the downside. They contain almost 4 times the usable energy per gram as protien, carbs, or ETOH (yes Elizabeth your body does break down ETOH for fuel or break it down and store as fat).
    Protiens may be absorbed a little bit slower than , but contain about the same amount of usable energy as carbs or ETOH.
    These are some simple basic undisputed facts of wt loss and wt gain that have been proven over and over again in every species of animal that has been tested for such things.
    To achieve wt loss all one has to do is establish a negitve energy balance. If wt loss on a scale is all that's important to you, how you achieve a negitive balance is irrelevant. Of course there are healthy ways and less healthy ways to do this. All I'm saying is learn as much as you can about about your body from as reliable of sources as you can.
    It never stops amazing me how so many people will spend countless hours reading goofy health mags, but never even think of picking up a basic physiology text. If you got a new merc 300x ProMax and had to care for it yourself would you get a merc tech manual or would you get a bunch of back issues of Boating Life and hope you could find enough good info in there?....

People just need to watch what they are putting in for that energy. I have heard people that are suppose to be trained in nutrition say it does not matter where it comes from as long as you have less coming in than you are useing. Eat a bunch of carbs and fat with little protein and you will lose weight just not fat, but "lean body mass". next thing you know you have uncontrolled insulin levels that lead to you heart disese, insomnia, diabetes, dogs and cats living together, all kinds of weird stuff.

Jungle Boy
    I agree that if you eat properly from all the food groups and get off your fat ass and exercise regularly then 99% of the people that are fat wouldn't be. Most of the fatties that I know just plain eat too much and are lazy. They pig out and head straight for the sofa, then snack all night long before going to bed. By the way - PETA can lick my ass too.
    There's room for all of God's little creatures - Right next to the mashed potatoes.

MagicMtnDan
    Here's the story on Dr. Atkins and the people going after his legacy by attacking him after he's dead (http://www.***boat.com/forums/showth...s&pagenumber=4)
    "Controversy" now over how Dr. Atkins died
    Diet guru Dr. Robert Atkins, who died last year after a fall in New York, had a history of heart disease and weighed 258 pounds at the time of his death, a newspaper reported Tuesday. Atkins' popular diet stresses people should eat high-protein meats and cheese over carbohydrates in order to lose weight.
    Before his death, he had suffered a heart attack, congestive heart failure and hypertension, The Wall Street Journal reported, citing a report by the city medical examiner.
    At 258 pounds, the 6-foot-tall Atkins would have qualified as obese, according to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention’s body-mass index calculator.
    Atkins, 72, died last April after suffering a head injury in a fall on an icy city street.
    Viral infection responsible?
    Stuart Trager, chairman of the Atkins Physicians Council in New York, told the Journal that Atkins’ heart disease stemmed from cardiomyopathy, a condition thought to result from a viral infection.
    Veronica Atkins issued a statement acknowledging that her husband had been diagnosed with a heart condition known as cardiomyopathy about three years before he died, and that he had had a cardiac arrest in April 2002.
    She accused “unscrupulous individuals” on Monday of trying to use his history of heart disease to discredit his ideas about healthy eating.
    “I have been assured by my husband’s physicians that my husband’s health problems late in life were completely unrelated to his diet or any diet,” she told the Journal.
    Atkins’ weight was due to bloating associated with his condition, and he had been much slimmer during most of his life, Trager said.
    According to some estimates, about 10 million Americans follow the Atkins diet or some version of it.
    The medical examiner’s report was given to the Journal by the Physicians Committee for Responsible Medicine, a group that advocates vegetarianism. The medical examiner’s office told the Journal that the report had been sent to the group in error.
    The diet guru’s widow, Veronica Atkins, was outraged that the report had been made public.
    “These individuals have gone so far as to obtain my husband’s personal and confidential medical information from the New York City Medical Examiner’s office for distribution to news organizations in direct and knowing violation of federal law,” she said.
    “Obviously such people will have no trouble picking and choosing bits and pieces of fact and supposition to mislead the world.”
    On Tuesday, the medical examiner’s office would say only that Atkins died of a head injury from the fall.
    “I can’t comment on people’s previous conditions. It’s against the law,” said spokeswoman Ellen Borakove.
    Borakove said that, because of family objections to an autopsy, the medical examiner had conducted only “an external exam” and a review of Atkins’ hospital records.
    She said a report had been sent to a doctor in Nebraska who requested it, and said he apparently gave it to the Physicians Committee for Responsible Medicine.
    It was later discovered that the doctor was not “the treating physician” and should not have had access to the report, Borakove said. The medical examiner’s office plans to complain to Nebraska health officials, she said.
    One of the handwritten comments in the medical examiner’s report referred to “MI” (myocardial infarction, the technical term for heart attack), the newspaper said. Trager said Atkins had no record of having had a heart attack, saying medical histories on examiner’s reports are often written by less-experienced doctors who may not know a patient’s detailed history.
    Last month New York City Mayor Michael Bloomberg sparked controversy when, during a lunch with Brooklyn firefighters, he described Atkins as “fat.” Atkins' widow demanded an apology and Bloomberg later offered to buy her a steak lunch to make amends.

Sleek-Jet
    Originally posted by FMluvswaterbabe
    http://img19.photobucket.com/albums/...be/popcorn.gif this is getting good.
    I don't know if it was your intention or not, but that smilley is a beautiful little piece of irony.

XTRM22
    Originally posted by Jungle Boy
    There's room for all of God's little creatures - Right next to the mashed potatoes.
    Hey Jungle Boy, That's one of my lines!
    WHat's your gripe with PETA?
    People for the Eating of Tastey Animals
    Chuck

FMluvswater
    Originally posted by Sleek-Jet
    I don't know if it was your intention or not, but that smilley is a beautiful little piece of irony.
    I didn't think anyone else would get that.

Tom Brown

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123