Thread: seat questions

rash
    I am hoping to be making the molds for seats. i was hoping some body out there has done it them selves. i was thinking about using cardboard for a form and then bending the plywood to fit. i am not sure on how to do it but being a carpenter for a living i hope i can pull it off. so do any or you have any advice or information on how to go about this. like what kind of wood or do you use sealer or fiberglass. pictures would be great too. thanx RASH

Mohavekid
    I built the seats for this Challenger.
    http://www.***boat.com/image_center/...hallenger6.jpg
    http://www.***boat.com/image_center/...hallenger1.jpg
    http://www.***boat.com/image_center/...hallenger5.jpg
    Sorry about the pics, I did'nt take pictures during the process.
    I started with 1/4 ply and attempted to steam them into a barrel shape for the front buckets, that did not work too well as the wood did not want to hold shape.
    I ended up using 1/2 inch marine ply and making the backs of the buckets out of five straight pieces. The trick was test fitting the pieces and getting them set at the proper angles to feel and look right.
    The bench seat in the back and the seat bases were straight forward using the same 1/2 marine plywood. I used screws and brackets with through bolted ny-lock nuts to hold the wood together. The foam and vinyl cover the bolt heads and nuts nicely. The side panels were 1/4 ply.
    I used 2 inch aluminum angle for brackets to hold the seat bases to the stringers.
    I coated all the wood liberally with resin to seal it. Just remember to round the corners on the wood so the corners don't try to tear the vinyl once the upholstery is stitched together. I learned t his one the hard way.
    Good luck.

coolchange
    Not exactly sure what you want to do. If you're trying to make the frames out of wood for seats to be covered or make molds to make glass seats. If your making frames then find a product called "wiggle wood" at a good plywood supply.

I have molds for the front race buckets and the rear bench to match. I can build the seats for you.

riverkc
    hey i seen your post about seats how much would u charge for a set of buckets and a bench and would they also be ulpostred do u have any pics of seats you have done thanks ken