Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: just got my boat.............

cougarward
    "Hello everyone" yes I have just got my new cougar 21mtr, but theres one problem, I dont know how to drive it I've never driven an outboard that has a jackplate and trim so I need some good advice on how to learn how to drive it and also get the most out of it? So if anybody can do so step by step please start now thanks ahead of time.........

RexRathburn
    Hi cougarward...congrats on the new boat. I feel ya, there is a lot to do learn about driving an outboard boat. I just bought my first outboard too. C'mon guys...class is in session!

mbrown2
    My first boat was an V hull with OB and Jack Plate...
    The way I learned was to put the jack at the middle/neutral setting and run the boat at different speeds while adjusting the trim...when it felt light and in control I would continue to provide trim while watching the water pressure...once it felt out of control, I would back off.....If water pressure was good all the way to wide open, then I would make another pass and jack the jack up a little bit and go through the same exercise....all the while trying to feel the boat getting loose but not unsafe and insuring water pressure was ok. Once I found that sweet spot, I would aim for that sweet spot when making high speed passes...Those settings can change with additional people/weight in the boat...
    When taking off...skiing or just pinning it to come on plane, I would drop the jack all the way down, trim all the way and nail it...as the boat took set, I would get the jack to mid point and start trimming out, all the while working up to the sweet spot...
    Higher Speed Cornering...bring the trim in a bit...jack at Neutral...
    That's my .02

cruser
    Cool. Another hot boat in my neck of the woods. Shoot me an email if you need nay information on local lakes/rivers. If I don't know the river, maybe we can meet to check it out.
    cruzer

cougarward
    Thanks for the info REX and M.BROWN I really apreciate it,,, but honnestyly I thought I would get more input, I want to know how to drive it from the dock to mid 80's, I know it takes a bit of explanation but I thought someone could help me ..... I honestly dont know???? So if anybody does, please fill me in like I said before THANXS AGAIN

HavasuDreamin'
    Originally posted by cougarward
    but honnestyly I thought I would get more input, I want to know how to drive it from the dock to mid 80's.
    The only way you are going to learn how to do that is to get out there and do it. The only thing we can help you with behind a computer is to guide you on how to stay right side up and how to not fry your power head.
    I am going to assume that you are running Mercury power. Be careful with your jack plate. You don't want to jack your motor up to high, run it out of water, and thus fry your power head. Your boat should be equipped with a water pressure gauge. This is your new best friend. Watch it frequently. Start out with the tip of the bullet on your lower unit slightly below (maybe and inch or two) the bottom of your hull. Go out and drive around. Get comfortable with your motor there. Keep an eye on the water pressure guage. At speeds below about 60 mph it should read at least 5 lbs. As you increase speeds into the 70's and 80's, it should read no less than 12 lbs............preferably 15 lbs. When running WOT.........you should see no less than 12-15 lbs. of water pressure or you will fry your powerhead.
    If you are getting more than 15 lbs. at WOT, you can jack your motor up a little bit higher. The tip of the nose cone should run about even with the bottom of your hull. If you aren't getting 12 -15 lbs, you need to jack the motor back down.
    To plane the boat, I would leave the jack plate where ever your run it at normally (about even with the boat bottom). It takes too much time in my opinion to jack it all the way down, and then jack it back up just to plane the boat. Trim the motor "in" and try to goose it on plane. Trim is different than your jack plate. Trim is the in/out motion while the jack plate is the up/down motion. You will get some cavitation out of the hole. As the prop starts to bite, and you get on the gas, you can start to trim the motor out.
    Ideally at WOT, you want the boat to fly. This means that attitude of the boat will be slightly nose high...........but not much. Be careful not to trim it out to much at WOT ........or you can and will get wet eventually.
    Most importantly .........get plenty of seat time at the lower speeds and get to know how your boat handles at lower speeds before you mash the gas. If you are running in excess of 80mph I would highly recommend a racing type life jacket and a kill switch tether to your vest.
    Last, but not least, feel free to call Cougar. They should be willing to sit and talk to you on the phone about anything you want. They are a good source of information.
    Good Luck

HavasuDreamin'
    FYI..........this is too much nose high.
    http://www.***boat.com/forums/attach...&postid=588806

RexRathburn
    mbrown2 and HD...thanks for the responses. I like the idea of finding the sweet spot for the jack and then playing with the trim...damn that sounds dirty! Anyway, I agree it just takes time driving and learning the boat. It is really a kick in the ass to drive my Stoker.
    Good luck cougarward...you have an awesome boat...have fun!

Forkin' Crazy
    Pretty good post HD!
    Every boat is different. Different set ups on the same hull can act different.
    As HD said, you need some seat time.
    Beware of head winds, especially gusty head winds. They can make you wet in a hurry, or at the least, a kite and that may make a stain...

HavasuDreamin'
    Originally posted by Forkin' Crazy
    Pretty good post HD!
    Every boat is different. Different set ups on the same hull can act different.
    As HD said, you need some seat time.
    Beware of head winds, especially gusty head winds. They can make you wet in a hurry, or at the least, a kite and that may make a stain...
    Thanks........the last thing we want is another boater getting hurt. We also would like to try to keep their shorts clean as you mentioned.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast