Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: which outboard???

markt111
    looking into a new (used boat) never owned or worked on outboards. I am looking for recommondations on which are the most reliable?? have heard great things about Mercs and Yamahas, but heard early Merc Optimax's had some problems running lean because of the fuel rail or something which could pop a powerhead?? other than that people love them, I don't want to buy a grenade!! what have you had good luck with? I'm also kind of a speed junkie and love to tinker, is this something you shouldn't do with OBs

STV_Keith
    What specifically are you looking at? Fishing/stock motor, hi-perf? What kind of boat?

markt111
    looking at center console sportfishers, many have the Merc 225 Opti, some have Johnsons which scare me because a friend had oil injection problems and lost 2 powerheads on his boat with twins, in general I will drive hard, want a more versatil boat but love speed and don't want expensive repairs

HavasuDreamin'
    I would stick with the Merc Saltwater motors or the Yamahas. I think you have been given good information.
    Good Luck.

STV_Keith
    My personal opinion is regardless of what 2-stroke you go with, lose the oil injection and pre-mix it. That way there is nothing to fail. It's more of a hassle, but if YOU do it, it's not a problem.
    I'd say you'd be looking for larger displacement engines. 3.0l Merc's or 3.0l OMC's. Maybe even some older V-8's if you plan to not run it hard (like race it). The V-8's were great for pushing big boats as long as you don't twist them up above 5800 or so.
    Available from 3.6 to 4.0l, they really have the grunt to move the bigger open fish boats. My dad had a 275hp V-8 3.6l on his 23 Sea Craft and it ran quite well.

rivercrazy
    For this kind of boat, I'd recommend one of the new 4 stroke 225-250 hp motors (Honda, Yamaha, Suzuki). More reliable, quieter, better fuel efficency, etc. And with the pending regulations, you won't have to worry about being banned from inland lakes down the road.

sorry dog
    What's your budget?
    How long do you plan to run them before replacing?
    Is fuel economy or reliability more important to you?
    BTW- you're gonna have a hard time tinkering with an Opti/Ficht motor. In fact, on a big boat, most of the mods you do are not going to be very rewarding on the thrill increase to reliability decrease ratio.
    I'd recommend one of the new 4 stroke 225-250 hp motors (Honda, Yamaha, Suzuki). More reliable, quieter, better fuel efficency, etc.
    I'm not real anti-4stroke or any thing but I don't understand what would make a 4 stroke more reliable- possibly more durable if you didn't run the piss out of it and maintained it well.

Forkin' Crazy
    Don't go the four stroke. Too heavy and too many internal parts.
    And the Evinrude DFI motors have less emisions than the Yammi 4 stroke.
    If you can wait, I would get the new Evinrude E-TEC motor that are suppose to be in production late fall '04.
    FYI the Optimax has way more moving parts than the DFI Evinrudes.
    http://www.evinrude.com/docs/200/1_US.htm#

markt111
    I'm looking at used boats, one boat I am interested in has twin mid 90'c 225 Ocean pros, are these solid, heard bad things about there FICHT motors, this does not apply to ocean pros correct?

STV_Keith
    My dad has two Johnrude 275hp V-8's he's gonna part with soon. Any interest?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast