Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Looking for a good set up for my haul.

red rocker fan
    I have a mod V tunnel 21' open bow haul and a guy told me that this haul was going to be rigged with a outboard. I was thinking of rigging it with a jet, but I have a jet now an my buddy has a Hallet with a outboard merc, and the boat halls ASS! If any one has any input it would help. If anyone has a motor for sale, I'd like to hear from you.

HavasuDreamin'
    The advantage a jet will have over an O/B in this application is torque. O/B's are fast on small light boats. When you weigh down a boat with lots of interior, people, stuff, the O/B will suffer with top end performance. If you put an O/B on this hull, I would strongly recommend a 300X.
    Good Luck.

red rocker fan

HavasuDreamin'
    Lakeland Marine in Lake Havasu City. Dick Sherrer Marine is in Norwalk (I believe). One thing to keep in mind. You will need a bracket assembly that has knee braces that tie into the stringers. Also, a jack plate would probably work well on that hull. Good Luck

red rocker fan
    thanks for the info.

hpron
    you may also want to check the for sale forum on screamandfly.com

Daytona19
    Check scream and fly, I have a 400 pound hull on my eliminator and with a 2.5 Merc (260 hp ) it will run in the 100 mph range. The 260 is a great motor too and doesnt have the weight a 300 runs. Either would be good.

DUCKY
    I would stick with a 3.0L (225efi-300x) on that hull. It's a larger, heavier boat, and will like to torque of the bigger motor vs the high winding 2.5, and the weight won't be an issue. Call Lakeland Marine (928)-453-1155, and also try searching on Ebay, and www.screamandfly.com for a used motor.
    You will most definitely have to reinforce that transom and tie it into the srtingers though....

randy77zt
    red rocker-if you got the bucks go 300x-they have a oil tank(no mixing like a 2.5) and if you get a new motor a warrenty.make sure you get a good jack plate.the ability to adjust the motor heigth is what gets the last bit of speed out of the boat.i have a hydrodynamics rapid jack on my mirage and its works very well.it has a ratchet &cable lift that lifts both sides even in 1/4" increments.boat should run around 100mph with 300x if hull is not to heavy.bring it out to bbsp-i like to check out different boats.

HavasuDreamin'
    Originally posted by randy77zt
    boat should run around 100mph with 300x if hull is not to heavy.
    No offense, but I think in a v-bottom application, 75mph is more realistic, perhaps 80 or so with the right prop and transom height. Interiors, stereo's, dual batteries, coolers, bimini tops, etc. weigh these boats down tremendously. Still, there is no way that boat is going to hit 75mph with a jet pump unless you are pushing 700hp or better.
    Good Luck...........and post some pics once you get started.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast