Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: batts

FlatUgly
    I run a couple of yellow top optimas in my burb with 3500 watts and its cool all day charges up fast with the fact 165 amp alternator too just a simple though

Tom Brown
    I run a red top in my boat. Does anyone know if Optimas like pulse width modulated charging? Should I get one of those fancy electronically controlled chargers?

25 Eagle
    I run the blues and have to replace them after 22 months. Something is draining them even with the Perko turned to OFF. WTF? Any ideas

BoatFloating
    Originally posted by 25 Eagle
    I run the blues and have to replace them after 22 months. Something is draining them even with the Perko turned to OFF. WTF? Any ideas
    Is your stereo ran directly to your batteries??? most of the time you do. That would be the first guess. If you turn off perko then you stereo amps and disc changer etc. will draw from your batteries.

Tom Brown
    I have a battery switch on my boat and my red top drains when it's disconnected. I think that's just the way they are with a fairly low internal resistance. I've run them in cars for years. That 22 month number doesn't sound right.

Havasu Hangin'
    I hate to say this, but Augustus Gloop (Boatfloating) is right.
    Amps have capcitance built in. If your stereo is hooked directly to the batteries...it will drain them keeping it charged. If you pull the cable, look for a small spark.
    That's probably not the case, though. Eliminator would never rig a boat incorrectly.

Tom Brown
    Originally posted by Havasu Hangin'
    ...look for a small spark.
    You can also use a test light or volt meter between the cable and battery post to see if there's any power flowing. With everything off, the light shouldn't glow and the voltage should read 0.

CA Stu
    Originally posted by 25 Eagle
    Look at your wiring. I bet you have something wired directly to the batts upstream of your isolator switch.
    In my case, it's a connector that runs to a Carbon Monoxide detector in the cabin. That little bastard has a real small draw, but it will eventually suck my battery dry.
    Thanks
    CA Stu

Havasu Hangin'
    Originally posted by Tom Brown
    You can also use a test light or volt meter between the cable and battery post to see if there's any power flowing. With everything off, the light shouldn't glow and the voltage should read 0.
    ..or if your old-school lead acid golf cart battery explodes...then you had a spark.

Tom Brown
    Nice.
    Here's the FAQ from Optima's site.
    Optima FAQ (http://www.optimabatteries.com/faq.asp)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast