Page 1 of 13 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: My First Boat Need help!

HappyBoater
    Hello everyone. I'm new here but I've watched the boards for a few weeks now. I just purchased my very first boat and now I don't know what I should do first. I did shop around for something that needed a little work so I could customize it to my liking and since Winter is here, I have some time to work with before summer. Anyways, I know I want to get new interior but I think that should be last. I also want to get some new gauges and maybe a new wheel. I need to clean the motor (outside) but the guy I bought the boat from told me he rebuilt it a little over a year ago and only put a few hours on it. I was thinking of adding headers but that's something I can do much later. The paint looks pretty good, there is about a dozen or so cracks. I think I'll just buff it out this weekend. The motor is a Ford motor and I was told this boat runs about 80-85 mph and if I get a better prop, I could see 90 with no problem. I don't know what kind of drive this is, or what hull type it is, but the guy I bought it from told me it used to be an ex race boat back in it's day. Anyways, sorry for going on so long. Any help/info about the boat/motor and what mods I should do would be great. Thanks
    HappyBoater
    [ December 04, 2002, 11:33 PM: Message edited by: HappyBoater ]

HappyBoater
    Here are some photos... I also want to either get the trailer refurbished, or buy a new one. Any suggestions on new trailers or a company who fixes them would be great. Thanks
    [img]http://free.***boat.net/gallery/Reader_Rides/Stern_Drives/Bad_Flattie.JPG[/img]
    [img]http://free.***boat.net/gallery/Reader_Rides/Stern_Drives/Bad_Flattie2.JPG[/img]
    [img]http://free.***boat.net/gallery/Reader_Rides/Stern_Drives/Bad_Flattie3.JPG[/img]
    [img]http://free.***boat.net/gallery/Reader_Rides/Stern_Drives/Bad_Flattie4.JPG[/img]
    [img]http://free.***boat.net/gallery/Reader_Rides/Stern_Drives/Bad_Flattie5.JPG[/img]
    HappyBoater
    let's try this again....again
    [ December 04, 2002, 11:47 PM: Message edited by: HappyBoater ]

HappyBoater
    Damn, how do you make those photos work?
    Riverdave, I don't know the make that's why I posted here to see if anyone can tell me and maybe give me the number of the MFG so I can get some parts.

HappyBoater
    Ah, thanks! What did you do to make it work and can you fix the other ones?

HappyBoater
    It worked! Thanks Riverdave. Do you know anything about these boats? What about the drive or motor? What types of things do I need to do to get it all ready for summer?
    HappyBoater
    [ December 04, 2002, 11:54 PM: Message edited by: HappyBoater ]

RiverToysJas
    WOW!
    Um, so...... someone told you "85 or 90" ??? Was that MPH??? If so, I suggest you take that person to court, ASAP! wink Although, there's no real weight there, and it does have a prop.....
    Seriously, I'm glad you're happy with your boat and I think there is some potential there. What's up with that, was that boat always an I/O? Strange little set up there.
    RTJas
    [ December 05, 2002, 12:29 AM: Message edited by: RiverToysJas ]

superdave013
    I would start by shaping that alum plate to match the outdrive housing. I.E. getting rig of those sharp corners up on top. You can do it with a sawsall and file or router.
    Looks like you have quite a project there. A friend had a little jet boat hull that had an OMC 800 with a bad ass small block chevy. It was a lot faster then everyone would have thought. It didn't run 80 but did run in the upper 70's.

JetBoatRich
    TLC yuk
    [ December 05, 2002, 07:14 AM: Message edited by: JetBoatRich ]

superV
    Dude what a project you have there! How much did you pay? I hope it was not more than a $1000 or so. It looks like it was a hack job of some sort.
    Not trying to burst your bubble just telling it like it is. The drive is an OMC 1st generation. Only good up to about 300hp. Which that small block is most likly putting out now. I may be worng here but i think thats what it is. I have a nice 24p prop for ya if needed. You should look under the boat to see if there is any signs of repairs to hull that might show how the boat was orig. set up. I do not think it was an I/O to start with. Keep us posted, its things like this that makes this such a great place to go to for info, and to share ideas! Good Luck...

HavasuDreamin'
    Looks like someone went to the Riverliver school of rope tying!
    Oh and SuperV, that looks like a Volvo 270 Outdrive, not an OMC. It will probably take more than 300hp, but they were never very fast drive units!
    [ December 05, 2002, 08:47 AM: Message edited by: HavasuDreamin' ]

Page 1 of 13 1234511 ... LastLast