Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: any recommendations on a first boat?

badbrad
    I am looking for my first boat and I have been doing alot of research. I want a boat that is around 21ft with a 350 v8 just for the basics. Any input?

OutCole'd
    I have a recommendation for you,
    COLE
    and this one is here in Vegas.

RaysonKid
    Get a Bayliner.
    Keep it one summer and sell it.
    You will really appreciate any other boat after that.

Mandelon
    Those Coles are really great boats. Especially the older ones.

redneckgirl
    New or used? Budget?

burtandnancy
    Babbrad, been boating at Lake Mead since the mid sixties, and all I can recommend is save a few more dollars and start with a 24 footer, otherwise you may miss a lot of good boating days. You just missed a super clean 24 Hallett with a 525SC for less than a good 21 would cost, so keep you eyes open. Also, pray for lots of water on the left side of the Rockies...

THOR
    Knowing what I know now, I would get a 28'-33' tunnel with twin 575sc's. But that is just me.
    Seriously, Outcold's Cole is killer. I honestly cant see why it hasnt sold yet. He is not that wierd of a guy.

bigq
    Knowing what i know I would just save your money and forget about buying a boat. or I guess you could buy the Cole, if you like that kinda thing.

HighRoller
    My advice is to get something that you won't cry over if you ding it a few times. You will, in the course of loading, unloading docking and maneuvering, get some dock rash and a few scratches from other learning experiences. Make sure you learn to drive it by yourself first before trying to maneuver with a boat full of people. This will make it less embarrassing when you try to dock with a boat full of peeps.

Outnumbered
    Originally posted by burtandnancy
    Babbrad, been boating at Lake Mead since the mid sixties, and all I can recommend is save a few more dollars and start with a 24 footer, otherwise you may miss a lot of good boating days. You just missed a super clean 24 Hallett with a 525SC for less than a good 21 would cost, so keep you eyes open. Also, pray for lots of water on the left side of the Rockies...
    The thought of a rookie boater in a 24' with a 525 scares me. I think he is on the right track with the 350/21' combo. Although I have grown up around boats, my Lavey was the first one I have owned. It was a perfect starter boat and we have been using it for about 4 years now. We are very pleased and will probably make the jump to a 24' next year or maybe even a 21' Lavey NuEra. We boat almost exclusively at Mead. If you are careful, you can boat this lake in a 21'. The 21' is a perfect size to become familiar with skiing, docking, and launching.
    Good luck!
    OL

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast