Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Superchiller--Does it make power or what?

cyclone
    this applies to all innercoolers..
    If you take a blown motor and do nothing but add an innercooler to it what happens? does the boost level fall because of the restriction before the intake? If so does the motor make more power if you change nothing else or do you have to add more boost to make more power?
    Is the benefit of an innercooler simply allowing you to add more boost because the incoming air is colder and therefore less prone to detonation?
    If this is true, how far do you know how to go with the boost. Do you crank it up until you hopefully sense detonation occuring, then add an innercooler and see if it stops detonating? I'm confused here.

78Eliminator
    You must be bored again. If this question is not "bait" then I'll be a monkey's uncle....

cyclone
    no i'm being serious. i bought one am wondering what the real benefit of it is. My first blower motor so i've got some questions ya know?

78Eliminator
    If you are baiting me I am gunna be pissed.
    When a blower compresses the air, it also heats the air up. There is a point where you make "too much" boost and the efficiency of the blower starts to be negative. For instance, you are making 7 lbs of boost and gaining 200 hp at a certain rpm. Well, if you change a pulley and make 10 lbs, the charge becomes more hot and the charge mixture becomes less dense so now the blower is only making 160 hp.
    An intercooler solves this by cooling the charge. It is a way to make your blower more efficient by cooling the charge. This way you can turn up the boost and gain horsepower rather than lose it due to heat.
    Get it?
    You see, nitrous oxide and blowers do the same thing. They give you a more dense charge. A blower accomplishes this by compressing the air, and nitrous does it by cooling it. BUT, with a blower, there is a point where the compression of the air is meaningless because of high temperature and thus less burnable volume.

cyclone
    c'mon man i'm not baiting you or anyone.
    I understand that blower heats the air its forcing into the motor and that the power gains are larger at 3psi than say 20psi due to the air being colder. So basically what you're saying is that an innercooler will make the larger amounts of boost more efficient than they would normally be?
    like without the innercooler 20 psi might only make a 200hp increase but with an innercooler that same 20psi will make 250hp? that makes sense.
    I wonder though if the peak boost will drop because of the restriction the innercooler adds and you'd have to change pulleys to get back to the original amount of boost you had before adding the innercooler? then does the efficiency decrease because you had to spin the blower faster to get back to the original boost level?

78Eliminator
    No way. The intercooler is not a restriction because it is a compressed environment. Another way to be more efficient at higher boosts is to have a larger blower......

cyclone
    oh i thought it would be a restriction because of the element that the air is being forced through.

78Eliminator
    I don't think it will make a difference. A test of this would be interesting. Too bad we all don't have deep pockets or we could dyno with the and without the intercooler on (without water running through it) just to see what happens.

Snowboat
    The intercooler will reduce the amount of boost, if the rest of the setup is left the same. For example, 6-71 with two 750's, 10% over, 12 psi boost. Add a Blower Shop intercooler and the boost drops to 9 psi. You lose at least two pounds, but the engine is four polished inches taller.

Hotcrusader76
    The cooler the air the more dense it becomes therefore allowing more of it to be crammed into the cylinder (chemical dynamics). More of it means more O2 get's in there which allows more fuel to be burned in turn...
    Turn up the boost ~ turn up the fuel= power
    and yes in broad terms 78 covered it as well.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast