Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bottem end disassemble part 2

Last night me and my buddy pulled the pan off and started pulling out the rods and pistons. I didnt really see any rust down in there but there was some really thick oil left over not sure if thats normal. Pics of the process up for those who care or just want to see pics (hey i love pics too).
    Also, is this a 4 bolt main? My buddy said he thought all BB's where 4 bolt.
    http://www.reitanfamily.com/gallery/...assemble-Part2

HBjet
    Not to be mean, but if you can't tell when the pan is off, then maybe you shouldn't be working on the motor... but after looking at the pics, yes, it is, and no, not all BBC are 4 bolt.
    HBjet

flat broke
    Yup, thats a 4 bolt main. Not all BBCs are 4 bolt mains. The bottom end looks pretty clean. No signs of wear or anything on the rod journals that were visible.
    Was this engine the one that was rebuilt and then never run? If so, it looks like a light hone and you'll be back in business. Also if this motor hadn't been run the thick stuff might have been some sort of assembly lube.
    Good Luck,
    Chris

You got a good piece there. . . it is a 4 bolt main. . .some BBC are 2 bolt. If your going to run this in the boat you need to put a windage tray on it.
    Chris

HBjet, I'll be honest, i dont know much about BB's. In fact most of my knowledge when it comes to motors/parts/specs is for imports (and i'm not talking about that 18" rim rice shit you see on the streets) as i wanted and was building my car to do road racing.. (before i had a kid, now i need a mini van ). I was pretty sure that was a 4 bolt main when i looked at it, it mean it made sense, there was 4 bolts on each.. but i wanted to make sure.
    cstraub69, It's going in the boat. a windage tray, whats that?

Oh ya, forgot, in each cylinder there was a black mark like the one in this pic. They are not all in the same place. Is this normal? Whats would cause that? Hotspots?
    http://www.reitanfamily.com/albums/M...0833.sized.jpg

OLDRAT
    Appears to just be some discoloration from the pistons setting
    in their locations for a period of time, with possibly some
    very minor moisture/corrosion.
    It does not look like hot spots. The motor does not appear
    to have been run very much since it was rebuilt. Look at the
    valves and the tops of the pistons, they will indicate any temperature problems.
    Good luck.

Fiat48
    Also has a cast crank in it. Nothing bad, just thought you might want to know.

HBjet
    Originally posted by Shaun
    HBjet, I'll be honest, i dont know much about BB's. In fact most of my knowledge when it comes to motors/parts/specs is for imports (and i'm not talking about that 18" rim rice shit you see on the streets) as i wanted and was building my car to do road racing.. (before i had a kid, now i need a mini van ). I was pretty sure that was a 4 bolt main when i looked at it, it mean it made sense, there was 4 bolts on each.. but i wanted to make sure.
    cstraub69, It's going in the boat. a windage tray, whats that?
    It's always better to ask then assume!
    What are your plans for the motor? Size, power?
    HBjet

HBJet, Plans... welp, nothing crazy, at least not right now. I was thinking about probably bumping the compression up, get a good cam in it and maybe while the heads are off gettign some head work done (p&p?). Right now theres alot of work to be done (besides the motor).
    I also have a complete 396 that needs to be rebuilt. Somebody told me once that this specific size motor is in demand and worth a bit more? this true?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast