Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Advice needed on new engine $$?

mud duck
    Yesterday I finally picked up a written estimate for my new replacement engine. Some of you may remember that I blew my 454 last September. So, to take out the old engine, dispose of the old engine saving what ever can be salvaged (blower, headers, etc.), build a new 502 with the right stuff, Dyno it, and install it into the boat, we are talking $15,000. That is almost what the entire boat cost me in October 2002 (I think I paid $18,000 for the boat). Now on the estimate he states he will be using JE pistons, Dart heads and has to have the intake reworked to go with a 1050 carb instead of the 850 I had. And I understand this is an upgrade from the old engine (which I had just dumped $6,000 into last June). But $15,000 sounded steep to me. Am I way off base? You know if the estimate is $15,000, the final bill will be $16,000+. I need to start robbing banks here.
    What should I do?

Get some other bids. I'd get at least one other opinion, maybe two.

Jungle Boy
    Good engines built by reputable builders, using good parts cost money. The alternative is getting some guy to slap together a bunch of off the shelf parts that don't work good together and you end up with a engine that don't make the power that it's supposed and it lets go early in it's life. I have a few buddies that have done this for years (over and over!!). If they would have gone to a guy that understands HP and good race engines they would be happy boaters instead of pist off floaters.

superdave013
    that's less then what I'll have wraped up in mine.
    Might want to talk to Infomanic. He does great work at a fair price.
    Oh, can you post the build sheet of the parts he plans to use?
    I'ed expect to see something like Carrillo rods and that type of thing at that price.

Hotcrusader76
    If you're going to a Dominator carburetor you might as well get a 4500 applicable intake, not a converted 4150 style.
    Why bother spending the cash (machine labor) to convert when you can get one out of the box from Edelbrock or Wilson? Just some food for thought on cost savings there.
    ~Ty

Unchained
    Buy all the components out of a mail order place like Summit or Jegs and bring them to a local engine shop and have them balance and assemble the short block.
    Do the rest of the assembly yourself.
    Here's a parts list I compiled a couple years ago.
    http://www.childsdale-ind-prop.com/p...partsstudy.jpg

mud duck
    Thanks for the advice guys. I believe I may call Duane at HTP and see what he thinks about this whole thing. I have also found several race engine builders here in the metro area, but I have not called any yet. The trouble is that I really like this builder's work and he would do a very good job. The other builders are not marine guys, but dragster guys. And I really want a marine ready engine. I am just upset about the cost.
    I look at the "Offshore Race Boat" forum once in a while and they talk about blowing $100,000 on a boat. $70,000 is a bargain boat. I must need a new job or attitude or something. I went to college & graduated, what am I doing so wrong that money is not falling out of my a$$. It apparently is from some folks. This habit/hobby is a worse addiction than smoking. Ohkay, sorry right away to all the smokers out there. I do not want to offend anyone.
    I am just looking for a better solution to my problem. Thanks.

HavasuDreamin'
    Here is something I have thought about, but never have had the need (never have blown up an engine). Look around for another boat that has a bitchen motor in it......the type of motor you are looking for. Chances are you can pick up the boat and motor for the same price as a new motor will cost you to have done right. Then pull the motor, stick it in your boat, and try to sell the other boat less engine.
    It could be a lot of brain damage in terms of having to sell a boat less engine, and you never do know exactly what you are getting when you buy a used HI-PO motor, but you probably could get out the door for about half of what you are looking at now.
    Just some food for thought.
    HD

BigBoyToys
    Originally posted by HavasuDreamin'
    Here is something I have thought about, but never have had the need (never have blown up an engine). Look around for another boat that has a bitchen motor in it......the type of motor you are looking for. Chances are you can pick up the boat and motor for the same price as a new motor will cost you to have done right. Then pull the motor, stick it in your boat, and try to sell the other boat less engine.
    It could be a lot of brain damage in terms of having to sell a boat less engine, and you never do know exactly what you are getting when you buy a used HI-PO motor, but you probably could get out the door for about half of what you are looking at now.
    Just some food for thought.
    HD
    Exactly! In fact, I have a boat for sale that has a VERY Nice normally aspirated carbureted 476ci BBC motor in it with all the goodies. I have had MANY inquiries from folks wanting to buy the boat minus engine. Am asking my winter time price of $5500.00 for it turnkey! Throw your blower on it and Voila'! Instant 1k+ reliable Horsepower!

superdave013
    Originally posted by BigBoyToys
    Exactly! In fact, I have a boat for sale that has a VERY Nice normally aspirated carbureted 476ci BBC motor in it with all the goodies. I have had MANY inquiries from folks wanting to buy the boat minus engine. Am asking my winter time price of $5500.00 for it turnkey! Throw your blower on it and Voila'! Instant 1k+ reliable Horsepower!
    Uhhhhhhhhh, are you trying to talk someone here into buying your engine, take the intake off and slap a blower on it?
    Nice

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast