Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Advice needed on new engine $$?

Fiat48
    If you want to save some money and get your hands dirty, then cyclone had a buildup from a crate motor that sounds like it would be right up your alley. Plenty of guys here to help you through the steps.
    Cyclone's post:
    "Ok you asked for recipes so here's the one that worked for me.
    my recipe:
    take 1 GMPP 502cid crate long block (all forged parts, rods have 7/16 bolts, 4-bolt main caps)
    add a Moroso 11-quart oil pan and HV oil pump
    top off with AFR 315 CNC aluminum heads (tulip valves, AFR springs)
    Add Comp Cams bumpstick grind #CBVI 48768/4877B SR112.0
    Comp Cams 1.73 ratio Magnum rockers
    Comp Cams pushrods
    Edelbrock Victor JR Air Gap intake manifold
    Holley 950 HP Carburetor
    MSD 6AL ignition and pro billet distributor and wires
    Set timing at 37 degrees advance
    Jet the carb with #92 jets at all four corners
    and you'll have a 9.62:1 Compression ratio, pump gas-friendly (91 or 89 octane) engine that will make 730hp.
    Assemble it yourself (the long block comes assembled) and the parts will cost you about 8 grand. No magic, no bs,just good parts that worked very well for me. Im no engine builder and my friends and i put this combo together in my garage in less than six hours."
    Or here's a used running 454:
    http://www.***boat.com/forums/showth...threadid=39993

BigBoyToys
    Originally posted by superdave013
    Uhhhhhhhhh, are you trying to talk someone here into buying your engine, take the intake off and slap a blower on it?
    Nice
    It was worth a shot LOL

littlewood
    The Cyclone's engine build up is a good idea. But, I will tell you from experience that I would never use a short block from GM without checking clearances. Even though the Cyclone engine produced good power it doesn't mean it will last. I would buy the short block from GM then take it to a shop that builds tractor puller engines. Those guys know how to build an engine that will take the load.

it"d probably be best to bring a "LOAD" of cash as well!...would'nt ya think wood? my uncle used to run a puller out of morganfield KY. and the money he spent on power!....coulda' made trump choke! i think he had like four BBC's on that sled? gotta love dem "REDNEKS"!!

jstwkd
    I'll sell you this one for 10,000 Has'nt even been fired since the rebiuld. With a solid lift cam should be good for 700 hp.The comp. is 9.6 . I also have a chrome oil cooler that goes with it
    Gen VI 502 short block JE pistons , Blue printed high volume oil pump , Dually 10 qrt. oil pan with windage tray and scrapper ,
    Comp Cams XR300 Hr Hyd. roller cam shaft Exh. lift .254 / .580 Int. lift .248 / 560 , roller Lifters ,SST roller rockers, Comp cams stud girdeles, pushrods Complete valve train . Comp Cams true roller timing set ,Polished alum. timing cover , polished alum. crank pulley , High torque Mini starter ,
    SFI approved flex plate , Chrome110 amp alt. and brackets, Rewarder twisty headers with two sets of basset racing mufflers,
    Edelbrock 6045 alum heads fully ported and polished , Exhaust ports opened up for better flow , Edelbrock polished tunnel ram
    port matched to heads, Two 660 center squirters with custom polished brackets for the lines and regulator by TPC .
    You can see the carb build up at http://www.tpcracing.com/660Article.html These are actually my carbs . I have not even ran gas thru them yet. They are topped off with a dually scoop and two flame aresters. MSD complete marine system , Dist , box , rev. limiter , wires, and chrome bracket to mount to the back of the head,
    Holley black fuel pump and regulator , Polished alum. valve covers and tall breathers, CP Perfromance polished thermostat kit,
    The boat is an 1989 caribbean by hardin marine . This is a full stringer boat . The year before last year I hit 79.6 on GPS with a 1/4 in. hook in the bottom . Last year I flipped the boat removed the hook and spped coated the bottom. The hull has a new sterring hell all new accesories,
    SST gauges by hardin marine . polished bezels, polished and anodized switches,anodized forward/reverse
    lever ,four mushroom cleets on the inside of the hull to tie up with. Two alum. 12 gal. fuel tanks. Two new polished fuel fills . The newer
    flat stile,two bildge pumps with polished over boards for the bildge and two for the motor.The Outside trim was replaced two years
    ago. After I did the bottom I decided to replace the sub floor. I have a new piece of marine grade plywood cut to fit but never installed.
    I have a new roll of marine carpet not installed. And new polished trim for the inside of the boat not installed.There is a CP Performance
    polished dual tank switch and costum polished bracket. Fram racing filter and brackets , new batt,New anodized cup holders , Interior and gel is original
    In great shape. I removed the pump intake it has been reinstalled but I have not gone under the boat drilled the holes and finished the intake .
    It was cut for a shoe and ride plate. this enitire boat ,motor,and pump are plumbed with russel fitiings and SST braided lines.
    The pump I bought a new 12ji from CP Performance. Witch is a 12jg just with the newer bowl with longer vains.
    In 01 I put about 5 hrs on the pump . last year I had Jim from performance jet in sebastapol CA. http://www.performancejet.com/about%20us.htm
    rebiuld the pump . I had a stage three done to it because I allready had the Bowl stuffer and flowed the bowl front and rear by Walts hot boat http://www.walts***boat.com/
    , It has a new aquamet shaft , agressor mag bronze impeller and wear ring cut down and hand worked to fit the stuffer, the hand hole was filled
    the intake was hand worked for better flow, a berkeley droop snoot , place diverter adjustable diverter, berkeley pollished ride plate and
    mounting bracket. there is no time on any of these parts since rebiuld.
    I will sell the pump seporate , the Motor seporate , and The Hull
    Or as one
    http://www.imagestation.com/picture...b1/fa514a2b.jpg
    http://www.imagestation.com/picture...34/fa514a2c.jpg
    Thanks

BigBoyToys
    Bad links....page not found

jstwkd
    http://www.***boat.com/image_center/...020040-med.JPG http://www.***boat.com/image_center/...Boat_3-med.jpg
    Sorry about that !
    The motor now has the dual quads . Instead of the single set up.

DiverDown
    littlewood posted
    I would buy the short block from GM then take it to a shop that builds tractor puller engines. Those guys know how to build an engine that will take the load.
    My background in engine building is in truck and tractor pulling as well as mud draggers and off-raod. I am just now being asked to get into the jet boat deal as I have stated in a couple of other threads since joining the board, and the two motors I have going together right now are pullin' motors at heart. I will let y'all know how they work out. The first one is a pump gas aluminum headed 496 that is going in a Crusader tunnel with a berk pump and full interior with stereo. I am trying to learn the pump stuff right now and have been talking to pump builders for the last two weeks,(boy, and I thought I was opinionated), anyway we should have it all together and ready to test in about three weeks.
    PS. Mud Duck- I don't know how far away I am from you, but I would be happy to try and help you out with some combos or a complete engine if your interested. Just PM me.

mud duck
    This is the estimate I received on February 10th:
    1999 Carrera - Blown Motor (my boat is actually an Ultra)
    *Remove blown motor & tear down
    *Replace with 502 CI engine
    *Dart Heads
    *Manley Severe-Duty Valves
    *8qt Oil Pan
    *JE Blower Pistons
    *Comp Cams
    *External Oil Cooler
    *Send intake in to modify for 1050 CFM carburetor
    *Assemble and run on Dyno
    *Reinstall in boat
    *Estimated power on pump gas - 650 hp
    All parts & labor above includes: All stainless steel braided lines and fittings, flame arrestor, carburetor, roller rockers & push rods. Also motor will be painted to match the boat.
    Total: $14 - $15,000 (plus freight & tax)
    Request: 50% down
    -------------------------------------------
    So, there you have it. Kind of a vague quote. He does not itemize each part for price. Nor does he explain the lower end parts.
    Parts I wanted to reuse (and I believe he plans to reuse some): Lightning Headers, B&M 250 Blower, 850 Holley Double Pumper, Isky Roller Rockers & Push Rods, MSD Ignition. (These parts were all new last June.)
    My original engine was a 454, so I realize this is an upgrade. And perhaps I am just whinning to much about the price tag. However, if any of you can give me your opinions here I would greatly appreciate it.
    Jstwkd - That is one awesome engine and boat.

jstwkd
    mud duck , Thanks,
    Make me an offer . This is a second boat that has been sitting since last season. I would like to see someone use it. I have a ton of money invested the motor alone. Actually a bit more than your estimate for the motor . I just had a baby boy and bought a family boat . The wife has allways been afraid of the jet.
    The motor set up the way it is should be somewhere in the 600 hp mark or more

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast