Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: water pressure regulator

Jet Hydro
    Jer for some reason you now insist in calling me out on just about everything I say....lol...
    Maybe the proof you needed was full throttle water pressure from a simple gage before you blew those gaskets. Would've saved time and effort.
    What in the hell would a simple gage do to stop those gaskets from blowing?
    Get your charts and graphs out for this one jer because you may need them to understand the why`s.
    Here`s what I found out, the why`s and what I base my proof on...It`s simple....Not math....just simple hands on, that you cant get by using your charts of graphs...
    The motor is the same motor in booth boats, nothing changed...Making the same power in booth boats...
    The gaskets blow in the boat (#1) that has a tight pump thus because of making more "water pressure"
    "Same motor" "Same Power" in a different boat(#2), plumbed the same way, hasn't blown a gasket yet.
    Simple math will tell you that the pump on boat #2 doesn't make as much pump pressure because it hasn't blown the intake gasket like it did when it was in boat #1.
    You can have all the HP in the world but if it`s not making water pressure from the pump you have nothing.(keep it simple stupid) You got no clues, just quesses!

LVjetboy
    "What in the hell would a simple gage do to stop those gaskets from blowing?"
    Just a guess here, but maybe the simple gage would tell you your pressure was too high BEFORE that gasket blew? That is, if you installed the gage and took the time to look at it.
    "Get your charts and graphs out for this one jer because you may need them to understand the why`s."
    I doubt it.
    "Here`s what I found out, the why`s and what I base my proof on...It`s simple....Not math....just simple hands on, that you cant get by using your charts of graphs..."
    But you get with blown gaskets?
    "The motor is the same motor in booth boats, nothing changed...Making the same power in booth boats...The gaskets blow in the boat (#1) that has a tight pump thus because of making more "water pressure"
    "Same motor" "Same Power" in a different boat(#2), plumbed the same way, hasn't blown a gasket yet. Simple math will tell you that the pump on boat #2 doesn't make as much pump pressure because it hasn't blown the intake gasket like it did when it was in boat #1."
    Are you sure you understand simple math?
    "You can have all the HP in the world but if it`s not making water pressure from the pump you have nothing."
    True. Both in thrust and cooling. But speaking to cooling and water pressure, the subject of this thread, how will you know the relationship of your power to pump pressure unless you measure pressure with a gage or data aquisition? Do you know by wear ring clearance and impeller flowing? Do you know by power or impeller cut?
    If so, you're the new pump Einstien of us all. Until a gasket blows out that is. Then you're keep it stupid, stupid. If not measured, then yes you got nothing. Then you got what's called "hands on" you dick that is. As in run it until it breaks then drink another six pack and brag about how you broke it.
    jer

Jet Hydro
    Jer your so smart your STUPID!
    I`ll try to make this simple for some one as smart as you.
    Why spend the money and time putting a gage on a boat that doesn't have a problem with to much pressure?( Blowing Gaskets and or hoses)
    If this was needed, don't you think that the boat Mfg`s would install them from the get go?
    If and I say "IF" your having a cooling problem or a problem with to much pressure then you might think about a water pressure regulator. If your having trouble setting the pressure then you might install a gage.
    I myself see no reason to install a gage for block water pressure. I knew what the problem was and I knew what it took to fix it with out a gage.
    This one`s for you Jer (K.I.S.S)

Jet Hydro
    Originally posted by LVjetboy
    "What in the hell would a simple gage do to stop those gaskets from blowing?"
    Just a guess here, but maybe the simple gage would tell you your pressure was too high BEFORE that gasket blew? That is, if you installed the gage and took the time to look at it.
    Oil pressure, Oil temp, Intake pressure, Bowl pressure, Blower pressure, Water temp, Volt gage, Fuel pressure, Tachometer,Speedometer, Now you want to add a "Block pressure" to the list of gages one should have. Damn dude, the race would be over before you get clearance from Huston for take off!
    But you get with blown gaskets?
    "The motor is the same motor in booth boats, nothing changed...Making the same power in booth boats...The gaskets blow in the boat (#1) that has a tight pump thus because of making more "water pressure"
    "Same motor" "Same Power" in a different boat(#2), plumbed the same way, hasn't blown a gasket yet. Simple math will tell you that the pump on boat #2 doesn't make as much pump pressure because it hasn't blown the intake gasket like it did when it was in boat #1."
    Are you sure you understand simple math?
    True. Both in thrust and cooling. But speaking to cooling and water pressure, the subject of this thread, how will you know the relationship of your power to pump pressure unless you measure pressure with a gage or data aquisition? Do you know by wear ring clearance and impeller flowing? Do you know by power or impeller cut?
    __________________________________________________ _
    In all of my boats power to pump pressure is measured with, Intake pressure, Bowl pressure, Speedometer, GPS and the Clocks. I don`t give two shit`s about block pressure until it becomes a problem with cooling, blowing gaskets or hoses.
    __________________________________________________ _
    If so, you're the new pump Einstien of us all. Until a gasket blows out that is. Then you're keep it stupid, stupid. If not measured, then yes you got nothing. Then you got what's called "hands on" you dick that is. As in run it until it breaks then drink another six pack and brag about how you broke it.
    jer
    Then you got what's called "hands on" you dick that is.

LVjetboy
    You're right my bad. I meant "your dick" no "you dick"

Jet Hydro
    Thanks for Explaining that jer...
    I`m off to install another gage right now.

LVjetboy
    There's always room for one more...
    http://members.cox.net/lvjetboy/AlwaysRoom.jpg
    jer

LVjetboy
    Seriously, I wouldn't leave it to mfg's to judge the value of a block pressure gage. Remember, I'm talking lake boat perspective...a boat used in a variety of water conditions more than a 1/4 mile at a time.
    Even running a pressure regulator, it's a good idea. Regulators can jam with corrosion or debris...wouldn't you like to know before you overheat or blow a gasket? Gaskets cheap compared to possible engine damage. So are gages.
    And the guys running a valve on their dump line? I wouldn't recommend it but if you do, what if the valve's adjusted wrong or accidently moved? You'd know it with a pressure gage.
    Even with a straight thru system like mine (no regulator or dump valves) there's a possibility of lake debris blocking supply. Why not know ahead of time?
    How many times have guys posted with milkshake problems? And they got no gage and no clue to block pressure. Even for a stock jet it's not a bad idea. For a built jet? I'd say a great idea. Sure once you get your cooling right, the gage is rarely needed, but on that rare occasion, can save you a ton of hassle.
    jer

flat broke
    I'm going to "borrow" from the prop world to back up Jer's theory (not that he needs my help on this one). Take a look at any of your high end I/O or V-Drive endurance orriented setups. You will see a water pressure gauge in the cluster. The reason being... to ensure through inspection of a gauge that the supply of nice cool water hasn't been interupted.
    Whether you're using the gauge to make sure your cooling system is moving enough water, or you're using it to make sure that you're not getting too much water and blowing an intake gasket, its much cheaper and easier to deal with watching a gauge, than sit under the baking sun wondernig why your oil has water in it, and pull the top end apart in a parking lot so your family can get back out on the water this weekend.
    Oh and Jer, I better see the Dragn at the Avi in August.
    Chris

Hotcrusader76
    Chris....Do you speak from experience
    ~Ty

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast