Thread: Merc Carb Rebuild or Replace?

mchas
    I have a stock 1991 Mercruiser 454 with a Bravo outdrive. When I give it full throttle to pull a skier up the engine almost dies. I pull back on the throttle and it roars back to life. My local boat shop said it most likely had to do with the secondaries and he would need to rebuild it. A while ago someone told me not to rebuild the stock carb but to replace it with a better aftermarket one. The 454 is bone stock and I'm not sure if replacing it would be worth the money. I interested to see if anyone has any thoughts on this.
    TIA

Deception
    I,ve got the same carb as you do and maybe all its need is to adjust the air horn spring tension. If the set screw is loose it will allow the tension to be to lite allowing the air valve to open to quickly. I thing the guy at the shop took the easy way out. The price of a rebuild (a good one from Jet Performance Products ) will be less than half than the new one. Hope this helped. DECEPTION

Blown 472
    Deception:
    I,ve got the same carb as you do and maybe all its need is to adjust the air horn spring tension. If the set screw is loose it will allow the tension to be to lite allowing the air valve to open to quickly. I thing the guy at the shop took the easy way out. The price of a rebuild (a good one from Jet Performance Products ) will be less than half than the new one. Hope this helped. DECEPTION Hey, Appleton huh? where do you boat and what kinda boat do you have??

Deception
    I,ve got a 1991 MACH 1 with the 454 Mag. motor. Do most of my boating in the Lake Winnebago chain. Get to go out in Green Bay up to Door County once in awhile. But the water level has been real low, down 3' from normal. Cost me Mazco prop last year. Weather has been real cold as of late, haven't got the boat home yet because the garage is full of snowmobiles yet. The water is real hard yet, like ice on it. Hope it warms up soon.

Blown 472
    Cool, you have probably seen me, I have the gold and yellow glastron with the blown motor in it, I hang out in the wolf river most of the time.

Deception
    Maybe I'll see you at the Bridge bar in Fremount some time? I'm down at the Fin'n'Feather in Winnaconie.

Blown 472
    Deception:
    Maybe I'll see you at the Bridge bar in Fremount some time? I'm down at the Fin'n'Feather in Winnaconie. Cool, I get out there once in awhile. Here is a pic.

superV
    Blown 472:
    Deception:
    Maybe I'll see you at the Bridge bar in Fremount some time? I'm down at the Fin'n'Feather in Winnaconie. Cool, I get out there once in awhile. Here is a pic. Lets see some more pic of the inside and motor?

Blown 472