Thread: 472 Cadillac Big Block

mike37
    is a 1969
    472Cadillac Big Block a goog motor for a boat
    and if so how much would one be worth
    I have ben thinking about biulding a nice moter with my son
    as a project

HOSS
    My advice is to put the motor on ebay. A resto guy will buy it. Then get a Chevy Big block to save cash and build more horses easier.

LakesOnly
    Those are really nice engines inside and you can generate a hell of a lot of torque with them.
    Other than that, I don't know anything about their application in a boat...personally, I would not build one for a marine application today as I don't know that there is much of a selection of marine parts for these engines, let alone performance parts. I think it could end up becoming very costly and time consuming, trying to fabricate hardware or modify existing marine hardware...
    Unless you are a custom fabricator with a bit of spare cash and into the challenge, it will probably end up a regretful experience. You'd be better off unloading that engine to someone that can make more appropriate use of it or keeping it for something else, such as a Cadillac. Go with one of the more common engines found in the ***boats, such as a Chevy or Ford.
    Just my .02,
    LO

396_Z
    The 472 block is the same bore as the 500, (IIRC), just a slight difference in stroke.
    That said there is a ton of performance parts available for the 500. Dam near anything you could want. Be prepared to pay for them, as with anything, the law of supply and demand applies. Bellhousing pattern is the same Buick, oldsmobubble or Pontiac.
    Major issues facing you is that the 425, 472, 500 caddy engines were never designed to rev past 5k. There are kits on the market to get them up to 7k if you want to go that high, again cost is a factor. Headers can be adapted by removing the flange from any set of BBC headers and welding on the correct flange for the caddy heads, port spacing is the same. Mounts are going to have to be made special.
    Depending on what your wanting to to do with the engine it could work or it may not. Lots ot torque for the same weight as a SBC, I just don't think it'd be worth it to pioneer the application into a marine enviroment. I'd say build it as a 500 then stuff it in a 73-87 chev truck to tow the boat.
    www.cad500parts.com

GofastRacer
    Another good site!.
    Cad! (http://www.500cid.com/)

396_Z
    Good job on finding that one GFR. I had their old URL in my original post but tried it and it no longer worked so I edited it out.

fourspeednup
    This has been talked about in another thread. I just did a quick search but didn't find it. I'm sure if you spend a little time you could locate it.
    The engine has great power potential. I built a warmed over 472 for my 72 caddy. If you are one of those "dare to be different" guys then go for it.
    Gotta love this pic
    http://www.hotboatpics.com/pics/data...launch-med.jpg

DetroitJim
    Well, call me what you want but I'm gonna do this. I have 2 Cadillac 500's in process right now, one serious effort and a spare. These engines do not have any major weaknesses without a solution. Plenty of people are using them in mud racers, air boats, trucks, dragsters, even salt flats cars. Here's the basic rundown:
    575 lbs, less than big block Chevy, Ford or Dodge.
    A good core is about $400 and usually has minimal wear.
    500 cubes bone stock.
    B-O-P bellhousing pattern.
    Chevy starter.
    Stock Q Jet is an 800 CFM version.
    5 inch bore centers. 4.300 bore stock.
    High Nodular crank, will handle a blower easy.
    Super high nickel block, near zero core shift issues. Can be bored out 0.140 over!!
    Olds 455 forged rods swap right in.
    Heads can flow 280 cfm with minor porting.
    Bulldog aluminum heads are now available, about $1800.
    Edelbrock has a Performer intake and an RPM on deck.
    K-B has pistons.
    I'm sure somebody out there has one in a jet or flat but as far as I know, nobody has ever raced one.
    Stay tuned for pics! Here's the best website, with links to all vendors.
    http://www.cowboyseven.us/yabbse/

fourspeednup
    Hell Yeah, that caddy motor was the first I ever put together myself...now I'm attached to the damn things. There will definately be a 500 in a brendella jet patroling the river around needles in a few years.

coolchange
    Crap I dont know how to post a link to another page.
    anyway V-drives> Caddy wet manifolds> about middle of FEB